Epson Artisan 810 Issues With CISS

timw128

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 810
I have owned my Artisan 810 for a little over 4 yrs. I purchased it new, and after it ate through the Epson Claria cartridges in quick fashion, I decided to install a CISS. I went with a unit from inkproducts.com in Florida. It has served me flawlessly for 4 yrs.
Last year, I was gone for about 6-8 mos. and didn't use the printer. When I got home, I used it and it worked fine, other than being a bit low on ink. I ordered some more and refilled it. Still worked fine.
About 2 wks. ago, it started printing poorly, and I noticed the external CIS tanks were below the refill level. So, last week I ordered some more ink and filled the tanks. Still it printed very poorly. Tried several cleaning cycles and couldn't get a good pattern.
OK, I disassembled the print head and soaked it really good in both the inkproducts.com solution and some quality window cleaner- separately, of course. They supplied me with a syringe that has a little suction cup on it and I was able to get those tiny ports running clear, so it seemed.
I took the little white hose block off the print head and flushed the internal lines with a syringe through the spikes in the ink well. Next, I cleaned the cap station really well with Windex, and let it set a bit before drawing the ink residue off with a syringe. Stuck my hand in there with some clean paper towel dampened with Windex and cleaned it up good.
To reassemble, I purged and primed the ink cartridges, installed them in the ink well, and then elevated the tanks to prime and fill the internal lines. When I was sure that all the air was out, I closed the vents on the tanks, cleaned the hose block off real good that attaches to the print head, and reconnected to the print head.
After I got it back together and running, I ran a nozzle check and I get no pattern for the cyan and lt. magenta colors. I can't get a good reading for aligning the print head either. To make matters worse, I got the 'end of life for the waste ink pads' message, so I scrambled and bought the WIC Reset Key from a guy who sells CIS stuff. Made my own little waste ink tank, and it works fine. After I reset the counters, I got another error indicating on the maintenance page little red 'X's on the cartridges. After playing with that for a bit and hitting the reset button a few times on the cartridge block, it seems to function, just not printing the above mentioned colors, and the sharpness is terrible on color prints, and I get white horizontal lines if I print a page a solid color.
I love this printer and it has been very faithful. I don't want to buy a new one and feel confident that there is someone here that can help me get it back up and running again.
I am a retired engineer, build and repair computers and other technical things. I just haven't encountered anything like the gremlins I am experiencing.
Thanks for any input and help that anyone may afford me.
Cheers!
Tim

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Tim,

Problems come when you least expect them too, so you could try contacting @Leonardjohn about your problem. http://contiuousinksystemcorp.com/

Now I know he didn’t supply you with your CISS but he is still known to help out guys who have run into problems with their CISS units.

You can contact him by way of PM here on this forum or by Email directly to his site either ways it can’t do you any harm because he’s a pretty generous guy all told, if he can’t fix yours then he may be able to suggest a work round for you..:)

timw128

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 810
Hi Tim,

Problems come when you least expect them too, so you could try contacting @Leonardjohn about your problem. http://contiuousinksystemcorp.com/

Now I know he didn’t supply you with your CISS but he is still known to help out guys who have run into problems with their CISS units.

You can contact him by way of PM here on this forum or by Email directly to his site either ways it can’t do you any harm because he’s a pretty generous guy all told, if he can’t fix yours then he may be able to suggest a work round for you..:)

Thanks, Hat- I'll contact the people who sold me the system first, and then go from there. Another issue has popped up- now the machine doesn't recognize the cartridges, even when using the reset button on them.

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi Tim

Pleasure talking to you yesterday. I hope the information we went over was helpful.

Thanks Hat! for the referral...

Cheers
LJH

timw128

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 810
Hi Tim

Pleasure talking to you yesterday. I hope the information we went over was helpful.

Thanks Hat! for the referral...

Cheers
LJH

Hey Leonard- I appreciate your time and consideration on the 810 matter. I haven't given up on her yet, but I am going to pursue a new printer purchase. Looking at the Epson XP-850, Epson WF-3640, and the HP OfficeJet Pro 8610. My contact at inkproducts.com has informed me that, irregardless of manufacturer, these new printers are all good for about 2 yrs., as they are cheaply made in China.
Oh well, as the world turns! ;)

timw128

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 810
Yes, I have another question on the 810...
Is there a way to free the print head, or unlock it, from the parked position on the capping station?
Being that the printer isn't recognizing the cartridges as such, I can't activate it in order to pull the plug after the print head has released from the capping station. :confused:
Thanks for any help.
Cheers-
tim