Epson 460 is not printing

chsn78

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with printer troubleshooting?

I have an Epson Stylus color 460 which I tried to clean recently and now it wont print at all.
dipped the head for over 10 minutes in iso proply alcohol and also injected alcohol into the nipples that are attached to the head that go into the ink tanks. Received a spray of alcohol when injected. This shows the head is fine. I refilled the color and black catridges, closed the refilling holes and performed numerous cleaning cycles. Nothing seems to work. It moves from right to left, pulls in the paper, but doesn't even print a scratch.

Plz help immediately.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Anthonius is right....but don't bother to replace the printhead...since it will cost a bundle.

If you want this particular model, you can find it for next to nothing on eBay...or, better yet, try a different printer. This model is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Good luck!!

www.esandjt.com

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I would agree with both, it does sound like the printhead.
Your best bet is to replace the printer which would be a cheaper alternative, however ebay would not be the answer, as you could end up with the same problem just with a different printer.
As Canon has released there new models, why not try and pick up a iP3000. You will find them at good prices as they are discontuied and stores will be trying to get rid of stock.

Jamin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think the printer head had broken by you.

"injected alcohol into the nipples that are attached to the head ....Received a spray of alcohol when injected. "

this is not the correct operation.

I think the correct method is "dipped the head by speacial clean liquid" .

Now you have to give up your 460.

printerenquirer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
right well if dipping the head in special clean liquid is the right answer, what about when its a fixed head thats not like the canon range that pop out easily, taking apart a printer is a big task if you dont know what your doing you could easily make things worse, we all hope that cleaning with solve, but obviously not always the case as your print head just may be permanently damadged, i have heard stories of people doing a cleaning cycle every day for weeks on end and suddenly the thing prints. im having problems with my c40 epson its a fixed head if i were to dipp the head id need to strip the whole thing and take the mechanisms away and the belts that drive it, i would be too scared to do that incase i went too far and couldnt put it back together, one needs experience at these things.
picking up advice would be the best bet from a range of opinions from novice as well as expert before buying a new printer, im finding it a little hard to take in that a spot of water or liquid on the print head ruins it, when it goes thru multitudes of ink as thats its task, so please continue this thread i would like to learn from you all, do not walk away from placing a reply, everything does help, and obviously i believe the truth with tell the right path,
id call myself a fairly clued up technically minded guy and i would be quite willing to take a printer apart, provided i knew for sure that it had to be done, so im in search of the quest to learn all about the printhead, why does it stop printing, in this question, i will learn.
if youve removed a blockage and you know you have. ive got the casing off the printer justnow, im watching it doing cleaning cycles, the waste ink pads have been renewed and its been reset i see the ink being sucked like a vampire out of the heads it seems to be working just fine, but it just wont print. could this be due to the fact theres still a non ink substance such as water inside and it needs to be totally dry could it be a loose wire, would a loose wire not say so on screen as a fauly. i refuse to believe the print head is knackered want to know why. because it was working before i cleaned it, but still working in a bad way and needed a good service and i did not put my finger on the print head once i never went nere it. so how can it just break.
jump in please