Epson 3800 - Switched to Photo black -- mess

Soulartist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson stylus pro 3800
I haven't used the photo black in some time, so I decided to make that switch from matte to photo black.

This resulted in a big black ink mark mess on one test paper after another with the nozzle check showing many gaps on each channel.

I switched back to matte black, but still have ink marks on the paper. After much cleaning (wiper, purge pad, rubber seal on purge pad) and running a few clean cycles, it's somewhat better, and the nozzle check is back to where it was--pretty good except for a few gaps in magenta.

Is there a way to rescue the photo black option, or is it a dead issue?

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P800 & 3800
It appears you have the dreaded failed black ink valve or damper. You can replace the damper or stay on matte black.

Take the PK ink cart out and weigh it. I believe if you leave the printer switched to PK, the PK ink will empty out.

Soulartist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson stylus pro 3800
It appears you have the dreaded failed black ink valve or damper. You can replace the damper or stay on matte black.

Take the PK ink cart out and weigh it. I believe if you leave the printer switched to PK, the PK ink will empty out.
Thanks for your response:

Even if the valve or damper parts were available, I don't have the tech skill to replace them. I will stay on matte black.

I'm not clear on your second point. If I switch back to PK, then the deluge of ink will mess things up again. How would the PK empty out if it's not being used to print, as in this case? And if left on PK, then I couldn't do any matte ink printing.

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P800 & 3800
To clarify, leave the printer in MK because IF you switch it to PK, the ink blobs and leakage will occur.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
There are two carts and tubes of black, MK and PK, but only one is connected to the printhead (8-color printhead in a 9-color printer). MK prints out bad on glossy paper and PK looks weak on matte paper.
If PK is printing, the PK tube is in line and the MK tube should be closed. And vice versa.
There is an ink tube selector which moves the MK tube in line and close the PK tube. And vice versa.
You can hear it just befor the printer starts the cleaning / changing the ink, sounds like a one second sqeach
If you don't switch the inks for long time the selector may become stained from the idle ink channel, so that the switching is not complete leaving the tubes open for leaking instead of printing.
To keep the switchi going I change from MK to PK and back again once a month.
I have read somewhere that a technician said to a 3800 user, one could try to change from MK to PK and back several times, as a last attempt to make the stained ink selector working again. But while I would try it myself I could not recommend this to other user. If you try it anyway, be prepared for a bigger mess .... and tell us the ending, bettter or worse...
PS my 3880 is still working flawless, but I have changed from digital printing to my old wet darkroom... I will keep going both ways,

Soulartist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson stylus pro 3800
As I work exclusively with fine art matte papers, I will leave things as they are.

Thanks for your thoughts.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Another veteran forum member returns! Welcome back, martin. Great to see you again. :hugs

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thank you my dear, feela good to be remembered.... so I will leave my grotto with films and chemicals sometimes to share a bit of prinnterknowledge ... in bad english with humor...