Epson 17" printers

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 Epson 3880, 9880
Hey All,

First thanks for all the help this forum has provided me with getting going on my own photo printing. I've been running a Canon Pro 9000 & I'm very happy with this machine but I must admit that I've been browsing Craig's list & Ebay for the bigger Epson printers. I'm interested for 2 reasons. 1. I'm not completely convinced by Canon's claim that they get 100 yr life from a picture with dye inks (and as I belatedly learned, only with certain papers) and 2. I have an old house with tall ceilings & I was a little surprised at how dinky a 13x19 print looks on my walls. So I've been looking at Stylus Pro 3800-4880's on line. Are there any considerations that I should really be looking at with these printers? Do the 4000-4880's all use the 220ml tanks? That's a lot of ink for me to go through. I am in no way a high volume user, at least at this time. Are all these models capable of running with Windows 7? Is refilling as easy as it is with the Pro 9000? Prices are as one finds them-all over the place. The older models are less of course but there are enough bargains that the purchase price is not a barrier. Physical size is a secondary issue. The 3800-3880's would be better here but the bigger ones will work just fine for the right price if they meet my printing needs. I'm especially interested in printing photos on canvas. Thanks in advance for any input.

PKK

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
For a starter I recommend the Epson 3880. It will print to a max size of 17x37.4 in and my initial experiences printing on the trial rolls of Breathing Color canvas is a pleasure. Switching between matte and photo blk is handled by the printer. However it does not have a roll paper setup, I cut the roll stock by hand. Print quality is excellent for my paper or canvas efforts.

To recommend further is a question of finances, the 4900 (17") OR 7890 (24") are 2 new models that will surely meet your needs. If these are in your budget, review, buy and enjoy.

good luck irv weiner

I have also enjoyed the Canon 9xxx printers over the last decade (or century), my P9000 MKII works in step with the Epson.

PS: Reliable 3rd party refillable systems are now available, check this site and dpreview.com.

PPS: Order some trial rolls (20ft) of various canvas's from Breathing Color.
http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/195/
Ask for their sample prints, check the surfaces

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the input. I figured the 3880 would be the best choice for the hobbist/semipro because of it's not as heavy & bulky as the 4000 series. Lack of a roll feeder doesn't really matter-at least to me. But I guess for that reason they seem to hold their value better. 3880's sell at higher prices & get more bids on Ebay than the 4000. Is it just the size or is there a performance problem with the 4000?

PKK

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The 4000 is actually three generations older. It is not in the same league as the 3880 by any measure when it comes to print quality and speed. In addition to that also consider some of the newer features like PTFE coated heads on the newer models as well. A little more homework/research might be in order before pulling triggers.

filmguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was in the market for a larger format pigment printer (I own a Cannon 9000 Mark ll) and started watching eBay and Craigslist. I was fortunate and purchased an Epson 4880 for a mere $100.00 but I wasn't offered the opportunity to see it in action as the owner reportedly threw out all the cartridges, hence the low ball offer.

These machines weigh in at 90 pounds and many simply don't want to ship so you'll see them sold for pick up locally. I would have easily considered $600.00 had there been proof positive the machine could produce a print.

I purchased a set of 220ml cartridges and ink set from Precision Colors and I couldn't be more pleased with the print quality, color, and particularly B&W.

I haven't used any canvas; Ilford Pearl, RR UltraPro Satin, and Costco glossy so far.

I find bargain hunting a pleasure with this kind of success but I was scratching my head while waiting for my cartridges and inkset hoping I could get it going.
An eBayer from NC had a printer stand that was discontinued by Epson and he actually sold it for more than original retail and only a $100.00 less than he sold his 4880 printer for. Any repair to these machines done by a qualified technician is borderline cost prohibitive and could easily be 30% of a new one, say for a new print head.

I'm a serious hobbyist. I (my wife!) wouldn't want a machine much larger in my (her) living room. This takes two guys to move it around. Any larger format I'll simply take them to the guy with the 9880, or if the ceilings are that high maybe just increase the mat dimensions to fill the frame.

I spent what I felt I saved on a ColorMunki and 2 Dell 2410's. Couldn't be more pleased!

Good luck on your purchase.

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks again for the GREAT feedback. I'm hoping for a score like filmguy got. I just want to avoid a mistake, especially with one of these 90 pounders. This forum is now my primary research medium. I learn more faster here than wading through specs I don't understand & the reviews on Amazon have a little marketers whiff to them. Mr. Milkling just told me in one sentence what I wanted to know about the Epson 4000. I hope you all know I appreciate your time & advise.

Pkk

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
One more thing. The 3880 is considered to be a serious enthusiast printer basically a wider offering to the person considering an R2880. The 4XXX series is considered to be a professional level printer, ready to print everyday on a continuous basis. Also keep in mind that the 4XXX series has a superior paper hold down and handling and is made to stand up to more use. This could be wasted on hobbyists wanting 17" for occasional use. Also take a look at the media handling capabilities carefully and consider what you'd likely need down the road.