Epson 105 ink to replace Brother pigmented black?

Miwer

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J4620DW
Hi,

I was reading the "Brother bottled ink BT5000/6000" thread with great interest, since I'm looking into using refill ink in my Brother MFC-J4620DW.
Based on the posts in that thread, it is my understanding, that Epson 106 ink is a good replacement to use for the dye CMY colors, instead of the BT5000. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Now not much was mentioned about the pigmented black, so I was hoping for some advice on this.
Is it safe to assume, that the Epson 105 pigmented black would be equally good replacement instead of the BT6000, or are there other easily available (in Europe) inks better suited?

Thanks. :)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Both Epson and Brother printers use a piezolectric printhead so swapping inks may very well work, but I'm not clear why you would want to do that in the first place ? Both ink types are available in Germany, with the Brother inks even at a slightly lower price . So please refine your location of residence for clarification.

Miwer

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J4620DW
I'm in Denmark, and actually both the Brother BT5000/6000 and Epson 105/106 are available here. I was merely curious, since your tests indicated the 106 inks superior over the BT5000, especially regarding the BT5000 cyan fading quickly.
I was even considering buying ink from octopus-office.de, which would have been more expensive in shipping, but now I'm looking at either the 105/106 or the BT5000/6000.
There's actually plenty options to buy bulk ink, but some shops only have cheap chinese ink, and I don't want ink that fades too quickly, or causes problems with the printer, if I can avoid it, so I'm basically looking around for some suitable quality refill ink for my printer.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thanks for your feedback, I think I need to clarify some info about the testing and the results - it's the dye inks CMY which fade much faster than pigment inks, the pigmented Brother BT5000 ink should not be of concern since this is a pigment black which lasts much longer.

Here is a test comparing inks of tank system printers - Brother inks BT6000 are the weakest in this test, so you have a good reason to look for an alternative. The Epson 106 inks perform even slightly better than the HP GT52 inks in this test.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/hp/WIR_Ink_Tank_Printer_Comparison.pdf

If you consider to swap the pigmented black ink against a dye ink you have the fading problem as with all other colors - the Epson 106 dye black is very good, but refill inks are typically very weak, and it's your decision if you go for a somewhat lower price but you get weak - very weak longevity overall. This may not matter as long as you do prints for short term use , but be aware that these budget inks even fade in the dark, in the cabinet , and blacks turn to chocolade brown over time.