Energy usage (24/7) for Canon PIXMA MX870.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Energy usage (24/7) for Canon PIXMA MX870.

I kept my MX870 on for 7 days-24 hours per day. The power usage is approximately one (1) kWh for the time period. If you have an electrical rate of $.10/kWh you will have used $5.20 (52 weeks/year x 1 kWh/week x $.10/kWh = $5.20/year) worth of electricity for the year.

Note: I made approximately 100 prints in the time period. I used a KILL A WATT device to record the power usage.

Besides wanting to know how much electrical power my printer consumed I also wanted to keep my printer from eating my ink plugs. On a MX870 printer the print head comes very close to the printers case. So close in fact the print head will pull the plugs from the top of the carts (using the Top-Fill method). Besides the clearance problem you also have the problem of the jerkiness of the print head. I believe the Canon people deliberately engineered the movement of the print head in such a fashion so as to loosen the plugs from the carts. If you use the german method to fill the carts the jerkiness of the print head will loosen your plugs, too.

So what to do?

I have decided to keep my printer on 24/7. If you have a MX870 or similar printer you should use the german method to fill the carts. I would use hot glue to fill the access hole.

I think it is a win-win situation. You keep your printer from eating your ink plugs, you use less ink, ink leakage is kept to a minimum, and there is less wear and tear on the printer.

Take that, Canon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

P

pgobkac

Thanks for the info. ;)

I've thought about getting a Kill.A.Watt device, perhaps when NewEgg has a ShellShocker.