Ecotank pigment printer vs ecotank dye printer

Kallia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp c4480
Hello to everybody! I am new to this forum, I would like to thank you all for the information that you share. I want to ask your opinion. I am between Epson ET L6550 (with 112 pigment ink, in Greece 113 is called 112 pigment ink) sale price of printer €930. And Epson L7160 with 106 dye ink - €550. For durability and fade resistance of the pigment inks is it worth to pay €380 extra? Thank you in advance.

Edit:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
those printer models differ in many more aspects than just the dye or pigment ink - ADF scanner, fax, number of nozzles/speed , droplet size, borderless printing .
so what are you aiming for - a printer for office applications or a more home - photo printing type of use ?

Kallia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp c4480
those printer models differ in many more aspects than just the dye or pigment ink - ADF scanner, fax, number of nozzles/speed , droplet size, borderless printing .
so what are you aiming for - a printer for office applications or a more home - photo printing type of use ?
Thank you for replying, your replies were the most informative for me. I want it for home photo type, but I want the inks to be as fade resistant as can be. What do you propose?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I want it for home photo type, but I want the inks to be as fade resistant as can be.
Pigment inks overall give you a better fade performance than dye inks , but there are no A4 photo printers offered by Epson or Canon at this time, you may need to look to A3+ printers like the Epson P700 or the Canon Pro-300 - both running with pigment inks.

Kallia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp c4480
Pigment inks overall give you a better fade performance than dye inks , but there are no A4 photo printers offered by Epson or Canon at this time, you may need to look to A3+ printers like the Epson P700 or the Canon Pro-300 - both running with pigment inks.
I clearly understand that ultrachrome pro ink is way much better than an average pigment ink, but it costs 5 times more. Epson promotes the Claria ink (maybe =106 ink much cheaper than claria) for semiprofessional photos and reasonable fade resistance. Do you think 106 ink maybe better than this average 113/112 pigment ink?

Kallia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp c4480
I clearly understand that ultrachrome pro ink is way much better than an average pigment ink, but it costs 5 times more. Epson promotes the Claria ink (maybe =106 ink much cheaper than claria) for semiprofessional photos and reasonable fade resistance. Do you think 106 ink maybe better than this average 113/112 pigment ink?
To be more clear I don’t need a very precision printer. I need it for color graphics without a perfect details and simple photos. But I want reasonable fade resistance and durability. So am 112/113 ink vs 106 ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
To be more clear I don’t need a very precision printer. I need it for color graphics without a perfect details and simple photos. But I want reasonable fade resistance and durability.
If top quality prints are not what you’re looking for, and A4 is about the size you like to print on, then check out the Canon Maxify range, they have just what you’re looking for..

It maybe only an office printer but it does both good quality graphic and photo prints.. The prices are good too...

Kallia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp c4480
If top quality prints are not what you’re looking for, and A4 is about the size you like to print on, then check out the Canon Maxify range, they have just what you’re looking for..

It maybe only an office printer but it does both good quality graphic and photo prints.. The prices are good too...
Thank you for your reply. What is your opinion DRHD Canon pigments are better than 106 Epson ink in fade resistance? I think that you use both? I am very confused. Thank you again.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I want the inks to be as fade resistant as can be.

that's how the thread started off - looking for the most fading performance - regardless of price - which you get with pigment inks.

I want reasonable fade resistance and durability.

this changes very much the picture - yes - you get good fading resistance with 106 inks, and as well with Canon printers , you have a wider choice of printers with the A4 format in this case. And there is another question which could influence your printer choice - what is your overall printing volume - if it is rather high you would get quite a handling convenience and a price advantage over cartridge type printers with the ET7750 running the 106 inks. If you choose Canon do not go for refill and 3rd party inks, they don't give you any adequate fading performance compared to the Epson Claria/106 or Canon Chromalife inks, Chromalife genuine inks are at least as stable as Epson Claria inks.
If you go for Epson you rather should choose the ET7750/L7180 instead of the L7160, the A3 model comes with a more versitile rear paper bin, it takes about 10 sheets, the rear bin of the L7160 is only for manual bypass feeding - you start the print job and the driver tells you to insert the paper - one sheet - , you cannot load it upfront.

Kallia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp c4480
that's how the thread started off - looking for the most fading performance - regardless of price - which you get with pigment inks.

this changes very much the picture - yes - you get good fading resistance with 106 inks, and as well with Canon printers , you have a wider choice of printers with the A4 format in this case. And there is another question which could influence your printer choice - what is your overall printing volume - if it is rather high you would get quite a handling convenience and a price advantage over cartridge type printers with the ET7750 running the 106 inks. If you choose Canon do not go for refill and 3rd party inks, they don't give you any adequate fading performance compared to the Epson Claria/106 or Canon Chromalife inks, Chromalife genuine inks are at least as stable as Epson Claria inks.
If you go for Epson you rather should choose the ET7750/L7180 instead of the L7160, the A3 model comes with a more versitile rear paper bin, it takes about 10 sheets, the rear bin of the L7160 is only for manual bypass feeding - you start the print job and the driver tells you to insert the paper - one sheet - , you cannot load it upfront.
So you suggest to go with 106 ink not the 113 ink? I thought maybe in the future Epson launch a superior bottle pigment ink and I can transfer to this pigment ecotank printer, plus the ink is ridiculous cheap. Here costs for €14 (average price) per bottle. Or I can put an more professional 3nd party ink in to the tank. And what do you believe is 106 better than DRHD Canon pigment ink? For fading. Like I said I’m very very confused.

Edit:

Latest posts