ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jackson said:
ghwellsjr said:
Thanks, headphonesman for that link to the service manual.

I also downloaded the manual on printing to CD/DVDs but I guess this function is disabled in the US. Does anybody know if it is possible to get a tray and implement the software?
Buy on eBay-for an arm and a leg or make one from a skinny dvd holder.I made mine that way.
The printer modification can be found here.

http://fiveeasysteps.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=trays

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7770/tray9gf.jpg
Jackson, Can you provide more info on that homemade tray?

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Using the measurements from the image, I took a thin DVD holder (I got mine from a dollar store.They are made of a friable plastic that is easy to work) and split the right side off from the spine.

This became my good edge.Measured 131 mm across, clamped down, used a square and box cutter to score a line from top to bottom (if your carefull, you can slice through with a couple of scores).

Clean up around the perimeter (the lip around the holder can be removed using finger pressure only).

The centre of the holder protrudes above the top of the cd.I put a coaster in place and sanded down so that it still gripped the CD, but was flush with the surface.The depth of the tray is 4mm, marginally thicker than a 'real' tray, but no apparent ill effects.

If the printer is modified, use the Canon Easy CD software to go through the motions of printing a CD.
Insert the tray when instructed and verify that the it gets sucked in and ejected easily.

Draw pencil lines across and down where the reflecters will go (so that you don't have to cut out fiddly little squares).I used adhesive backed aluminum tape, pressed down over the little pencilled box, then gently trimmed it back to the lines with a straight edge and a box cutter.

The first print out will make your bosom swell with pride, but you will notice that it is slightly off (this also happens with official trays).Adjust as best you can.You can PM me if you want for any other details.

NOTE!!!! The printing on the image refers to a "Mini DVD Case", it's in fact a full length case , but "skinny".
img0814ha.jpg