Dye-sub

cambece

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone still use these, i was reading about them and i saw it prints at 300dpi to me thats weak, but then I read further and most home printers that advertise 1200 x 2400 print around 314 dpi at there normal settings. so this makes me thing... how is this being measured with dye-sub I would assume that the image would be relatively clear, but the stuff is expensive so I dont thing I would use it.

Cambece

cambece

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For me due o the fack that you need special paper for this i dont know if i would like it very much...

Cambece

cambece

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well i guess no-1 knows what i am talking about

Cambece

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If a Dye-Sub is the likes of a Canon CP-200, then I use one.The results are excellent (better colour match out of the box than inkjet) and the price of the cartridges is not bad if you buy the 108 size package (compared to online developing labs)...Only thing with the Canon was conflict with HP printer drivers which caused the Canon Photo Shop app. some problems, but that was fixable.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
cambece said:
Does anyone still use these, i was reading about them and i saw it prints at 300dpi to me thats weak, but then I read further and most home printers that advertise 1200 x 2400 print around 314 dpi at there normal settings. so this makes me thing... how is this being measured with dye-sub I would assume that the image would be relatively clear, but the stuff is expensive so I dont thing I would use it.

Cambece
I know what you mean... It took quite a while for me to work out that you could use Dye-sub in piezo printhead tech but not bubblejet (ie: heated) printers. So, Epson printers will work fine with Dyesub printer ink whilst Canon won't touch them.

The key thing here is that dyesub(limation) is heat activated so what you do is use a "cold" print system to output your image to a "transfer" of some suitable paper or other material and then use heat (like a mug press, etc..) to transfer the image to the target material..

I could go on but basically you'd only ever use a Dye-sub printer if you wanted to produce something like printed mugs, t-shirts (needs to contain polyester, etc..) and the like..

Dye-sub is also patented and the company who created it are VERY quick to beat the legal drum to kill off any attempt to create the same ink type without paying royalties (which are VERY VERY VERY high!).

So there you go... Took months to find that lot out.. :p

cambece

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yippy, i got some people to help....Thanks

Cambece