Dye or Pigment

Danny Kiwi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am about to refill my Canon BC1-3eBK
I have a Typical refill bottle made by a Company called Calidad ,for filling black on Canon Printers,,
What I would like to know is is this normally Dye Based Ink or Pigment?? and if it is Dye based would I harm the Printer filling my Cart(as pigment is recommended for this particulat cart..
Thanks in Advance and Cheers and Beers from New Zealand..

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have filled my BCI-3ebk with dye based ink from MIS by mistake. I have Canon ink that is labled k(pigmented) and the other is labled pk(dye based). I grabbed the wrong bottle and filled my cartridge, the results from the print head were there was a kind of overspray around the all the text. It didn't seem to have any adverse effects on the head other than what I mentioned before. However, when I did refill the cartridge with the pigmented ink I got a lot of clogged nozzles, it took about 10 cleanings to get the pigmented ink to flow properly.

After what happened to me I would suggest not to put dye ink in the BCI-3ebk.

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For me its better put a dye based ink....cause ....when you have some clog problems, you can easily remove it with alcohol or hot water....
For tyamada " mistake " there is a small explanation about it, these dye ink have smaller particle than pigment one....the problem solve it to close the breather port a bit more so..it would make the ink nozzle more difficult to suck the ink

Don't bother with the pigment capability to resist water, because even if you can hold the ink on your paper...you would not give those wet paper to your boss or family or anything....
Instead after you print it with dye ink laminate it...cover it....spray it with coating or else....

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Using a dye ink on a cartridge that is supposed to contain pigment ink is definitely not recommended. The pigment based ink has it's own purpose, as well as the dye based ink. You will definitely have a less than satisfactory output of you don't follow that simple rule.
Some might be brave enough to try it, but I don't see any reason to do it.

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
yes...i'm agree with you blasterq .....
beside that ( i believe ) that these printer manufacturer have a special construction...for their printer...on each kind of their ink...............so becarefull....
my last post was just based on my experience using xnui320...i450....bjc2100....
i use water based ink .......
BTW i forget to mention something
don't worry of clogs when u use pigment ink cause as you know....these people in forum will help ya !! to solve it...that what friend's are for.......
:)

Latest posts