Dye or Pigment Printer for Offset Paper (Sappi, Navajo & Others)

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Hi @The Hat ,

I've heard that pigmented ink doesn't dry properly on couche paper (art paper). We need a special ink called pigment-UV ink that after print it need UV light to dry. In my country, people use Epson with CISS + pigment-UV ink to print on couche paper.

Is that correct? What's difference between glossy and couche paper?? And can someone explain why couche doesn't happy with normal ink?

Gurukrupa Printwell

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
RYOBI 3304 HA
Most offset papers are suitable and do work to a certain degree on inkjet printers
using either dye or pigment inks theres really no difference in print quality.

Inkjet printers work much better on all digital, canvas and laid papers and that is the same for the heavier card stock also,
bond paper and pulp board will work but give poorer results on nearly all of them.

That said the only way to know for sure is to get samples of the paper you would normally use
and take it along to a high street shop and ask them if you can you print
a few sample sheets on one of their printers on display.

But if you can afford to buy a digital laser printer that would be the best and most sensible option
because it can print on 95% of all offset papers no problem and it would be more reliable than a single inkjet printer.

A digital printer will still have a problem handling 350 gm paper and so if that is the type of weight youre talking about
then try and get one with a very low paper input angle like an OKI ES9410 or a cheaper model.

I hope this is a help to you and it gives you a better idea which way to go,
Id love a digital laser myself but cant get enough work to justify owning one..
Excellent answer The Hat!!! This is the answer I am actually looking for. Thanks for being helping moderator.