bert01980

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1400
Hello to everyone,

sorry for my bad english ..
I have one Epson Stylus Photo 1400 and to pick up a PRO 3880

I read various discussions about (with the help of Ink Stained Fingers ---> Thanks) but I do not have clear ideas
so if you can kindly help me I would be grateful:
1) what do you think is the best ink non-OEM for the 1400 ?
2) it is advisable in terms of quality convert the 3880 in DYE?
3) which ink pigments (always non-OEM) and cartridges , do I recommend

thanks to any information about
Roberto

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
hello,

there is not one best ink for a printer - it all depends what you want to achieve - do you want to print sales posters or photos for an exhibition ? Which paper(s) are you planning to use - what is the purpose of your prints - are they exposed to the sun for an extended period ? Or is the cost of consumables your prime concern ? It's this type of considerations which will guide you to the right choices - so why would you run dye inks on the 3880 - because they are cheap ? or ? It is upfront not a 'quality' issue .

bert01980

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1400
Hello and thanks for the reply ... you're always very kind

I need first of all, the quality, and then, if possible, durability ...
I print on semi-gloss and matte papers...little on glossy, the paper I use have good quality

I have not yet received the 3880 and then I did not tests but many will "complain" the general quality of the results obtained with the pigments for this reason, I wonder if it is better to take the DYE ... Also for not having problems with non-OEM Pigment inks

Thanks again
Roberto

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not specifically using a 3880 and just can give you some more general comments; you can use the same type of ink in the 1400 and 3880, and the same papers but just larger so you are used to the look of your choice of papers. You can run dye inks in one printer, and pigment inks in the other to see the differences and get the best from both depending on the paper choice, so there is no 'better' for one or the other. There can be cost considerations because the most light stable Fuijifilm DL dye inks are more expensive than typical pigment inks. Differences of ink types in combination with patricular papers are discussed here in detail so you can make a choice, and with the ease of refilling a 1400 you can test quite easily for yourself the best combinations for you. I'm using both dye and pigment inks and got to know in the meantime after quite some testing this and that which combinations I like most - for different purposes. And just don't forget to create appropriate custom icc color profiles for these non-standard combinations.

bert01980

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1400
thanks again for your answer !!!
for ICC profiles there are no problems I can do it ...
but you what inks will recommend? both Dye and pigments

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
don't you have a local supplier in your country yet - whereever that is ? A wide range of inks and papers and more would be available at octoinkjet or precisioncolors or marrutt.co.uk , some sell as well papers and offer icc-profiles in combination with their inks

bert01980

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1400
yes, there are, but they all say that have the best ink on the market ...
so I "need" direct experiences from some of you who have tested

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm using or have used ink from these suppliers, without problems, but they are not my sole sources

philippa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson
Hi I linked this in another thread about the 3800 inks :
Hello I dont know about the canon models but I know Rihac are selling refillable cartridges & inks for the epson surecolor printers http://www.rihac.com.au/index.php/large-format-supplies-c-106
This is pigment ink, was advised the fade life of the pigment inks is much longer than dye inks. Im considering getting a scp800 so will be interested to hear how you get on with non OEM inks :)

bert01980

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1400
Hello Philippa,
thanks for interesting abaut!!!
I think it's important to get the opinions of those who have tried one or two brands before purchasing

Latest posts