Duplex printing overfeed.

rackwe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a HP Pavillion 445c computer and am running Windows XP sp2 for an operating system. My printer is a HP psc2110xi that in the beginning printed single side or both sides with no problem. However, for the last year whenever I try to print duplex, or both sides, the first run is satisfactory but when I take the stack out and try to run the second side the printer grabs multiple pages and completely destroys the print job.
I went out and bought a new HP Photosmart C4250. The new one does the same thing. I would like to resolve this problem so I can print double sided documents. Can anyone recommend a fix for this problem short of not printing doublesided.

Old Chipper

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I was having the same problem with my hp k550. After many tries to solve it, this what I found to be my problem. The ink wasn't totally dry. (looked and felt dry) I found that if I printed one side and waited to print the other side until later in the day, it worked fine. I had changed vendors of the ink I used in my CIS system. I went back to the first seller and the problem went away. I also had more problems on very humid days. Not sure if this is your problem, but it worked for me. I was printing 50, 330 page booklets at a time, so it wasn't much of a problem, as I would print one side, then print side two the next day. I also found it best not to change paper in the middle of a print job. By that I mean if i added paper from a new package to paper that had been in the feed a few days, I would get the double feed at the point it started on the fresher paper. Hope this helps!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just as a suggestion to try out.

Often problems with paper feeding are down to the paper being too compact with no air between the sheets. If you "knock up" or "fan apart" the paper to get air in there it often solves many of the issues.

Way to do it is relatively simple but hard to explain in words so you get to watch my first ever Google Video :)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5432083835630346039
(Apparently it seems to take a while to be available)

Well I had to learn sometime ;)

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
Full marks ! Most illuminating !, until I watched the video I thought you were going to advocate the very simple "fan" method.........but I now see your way is just as easy and probably more efficient !.
I had not seen this way before. the video was definitely worth it.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
headphonesman said:
websnail said:
Full marks ! Most illuminating !, until I watched the video I thought you were going to advocate the very simple "fan" method.........but I now see your way is just as easy and probably more efficient !.
I had not seen this way before. the video was definitely worth it.
LOL... well when I saw it I was like... "Oh dear!" but thanks :)

The method is known as fan apart and I was taught it by a professional printer tradesman (as in proper printers - not electronic computer jobs ;)) as part of my work experience (many moons ago). It's stood me in good stead since :)