dry-mount tissue

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Does dry-mount tissue work with microporous oaper inkjet photos?

I've been using Three M art spray adhesive to mount photos to a backing of poster board or foam core display boards. Because I have a project that requires exact placment of two photos back to back on backing board with no margin of the backing board showing, it would be much easier to get exact placement with dry-mount tissue. The spray adhesives tend to work like contact cement. Once a part of the photo is "tacked" to the backing, that is the place it will stay. Even the adhesive that claims to be moveable is very unforgiving.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
fotofreek said:

I've been using Three M art spray adhesive to mount photos to a backing of poster board or foam core display boards. Because I have a project that requires exact placment of two photos back to back on backing board with no margin of the backing board showing, it would be much easier to get exact placement with dry-mount tissue. The spray adhesives tend to work like contact cement. Once a part of the photo is "tacked" to the backing, that is the place it will stay. Even the adhesive that claims to be moveable is very unforgiving.
You could also use 3M two sided adhesive tape, when that stuff is stuck down its stuck down.. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Hat said:
fotofreek said:

You could also use 3M two sided adhesive tape, when that stuff is stuck down its stuck down.. :)
The benefits of dry-mount tissue are that 1) nothing is stuck together until you get the exact placement and apply heat and 2) the entire back of the photo is stuck to the backing. I've used 3M double sided adhesive tape for temporary displays where exact placement and full backing adhesion aren't as critical.

The 3M spray adhesive that is touted as removable is pretty good, but it still acts like contact cement with a very small allowance for "wiggle room." The spray adhesives also have a down side that when handling several photos it is difficult to avoid occasionally having some small amount of the adhesive on you fingers that can get transferred to the front of the photo when placing it on the backing. The dry-mount tissue has all of them beat for exact placement, no mess, and full adhesion. If only it will work on inkjet prints!!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
fotofreek said:
If only it will work on inkjet prints!!
I use it all the time for inkjet prints (dye ink). Works great! The biggest secret, DRY the mount and PRINT FIRST before bonding...

Wayne

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
turbguy said:
fotofreek said:
If only it will work on inkjet prints!!
I use it all the time for inkjet prints (dye ink). Works great! The biggest secret, DRY the mount and PRINT FIRST before bonding...

Wayne
Good advice. Thank you.