Don’t know when to run a Nozzle print !

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
A nozzle check is the best known way to use all of the nozzles at once in your print head, (Every colour) so you can tell at a glance if you your heads are clean and clear and ready for use plus it’s the only sure way to run a test print without damaging the print head in any way.

Following excellent and helpful advice from @The Hat (in this and other posts) and @crenedecotret (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3977) I have successfully set up a batch file to run automatic daily nozzle checks on each of my printers (Pro9000 MkII and Pixma MG5300).

I have done this following 3 head failures in a matter of weeks, on the grounds that independent inks and plain paper are relatively very cheap compared with the cost and hassle (and nuisance) of replacing print heads. Hopefully, this will eliminate the risk of head failure from lack of use e.g. when away on holiday.

I have two questions.

1) Will a daily nozzle check eliminate the probability of the printer initiating a cleaning cycle (thus using more ink)?

2) Is the amount of ink used on a nozzle check so tiny as to be incidental? (I'd hate for any carts to empty whilst I was away on holiday which would clearly defeat the objective!)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The daily nozzle check will reduce the amount of times the printer does a normal cleaning cycle but by how much is any ones guess, the jury’s still out, further investigation is needed.

There’s no chance of running out of ink while doing nozzle prints so you can relax on that score, but if you’re going to use the MIS Auto print and a scan of your nozzle check then your printer won’t use all the inks for that.

@crenedecotret method is by far the most effect Auto print you could use and in my opinion the best.

Happy Holidays.. :cool:

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
Thanks, Hat. I'm using @crenedecotret's method with Task Scheduler and it works a treat.