Does HP has the right to do this to us?

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Recently when I start the computer every time a strange program starts automatically and wants to load all the pictures in my computer to a special file, I canceled it, the next time I start the computer, the same program pop up again. I tried to find where this program hides and delete it. It turned out to be in one of the HP driver files in the program folder. Somehow after I deleted it, it reload itself again like a virus. I tried to reload windows hope it will get rid of this file and failed. I have to delete the whole c drive and reformat again, reloaded windows xp to get rid of it. Wasted a lot of time thanks to HP.
I looked inside my program folder and found tons of useless program being loaded without my notice when I tried to load a printer driver using the cd supplied by hp. If one is not careful, and just click next, next to install a printer driver, it will include lots of programs. I notice when I tried to load the hp photosmart 5800 driver, I got these extra programs:
HP software update
HP solution center
HP image device functions
HP photosmart premier software
HP document viewer
HP customer participation program 7.0
ocr software by i.r.i.s
HP photosmart essential
HP image zone
HP share to web
All I need is the driver for the printer and the scanner. What do hp gain by stuff these useless program down my computer. Some of these programs works like a trojan virus and might open up my computer to other party.
From now on, when I have to install a driver of any kind supplied from any printer supplier, I would choose the customize option and would not go default, next, next. Just the basic driver period.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Basically you've agreed to install those programs, so HP have done it.

sideways

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ltsang said:
From now on, when I have to install a driver of any kind supplied from any printer supplier, I would choose the customize option and would not go default, next, next.
Yes, it might be smart to choose the "Custom" option if available, if all you want are drivers and nothing else. Keep in mind that some install programs *do not* make clear which parts are needed for "drivers only" operation. Use Custom at your own risk....and then REMEMBER what you chose, in case something doesn't work in the future.

ltsang, I have to wonder.....customizing software install options has been around for several years now. Since you are only now complaining about this, I have to guess that you have been blasting thru install progs without reading the fine print for quite a while.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi sideways,
you are right that I am used to old printers only comes with the necesssary drivers, and I did not pay much attention until now on some newer hp or other printers that they do throw a lot of extra programs in order to get control of your habbit to use their software.
I like to have a choice of what programs are best for my photo editing, or which progrom to use to play my movies. And Microsoft always try to put their media player as the default player and IE as the default browser. When something is good, users will find out sooner or later, not by forcing something down their throat.
I used to like old HP printers, but because they try to sell expensive little 5ml cartridges, I stop using them and try to find something else. I first found the Epson printers, and then the Canon printers that use the cli-8 cartridges and these are the printers I am using now. Looks like Canon is trying to change their cartridges to those pg-40 which in a way is similar to HP cartridges, I don't think Canon will be staying on my top list if thats the case, and may be laser printers will take the lead in the future.
Getting back to the HP softwares, they make it very difficult to remove completely once installed, and thats what makes me mad. Immagine every time you turn on the computer, this annoing program runs and try to get control. You go through so many ways to get rid of it until you have to completely wipe the whole hard disk and reload every single program which for me takes the whole evening.
Here in Canada we only have a few outlets to buy computers. I noticed the stores have bundle deals that you buy a pc and get a free hp printer. The same gimmick was once used by Lexmark and many of those free Lexmark printers are junks now.
So much to get off some air. Thanks for your reply.