does each cart require a separate syringe?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
(Two posts in a row... I've been taught no more than one issue to a post!)

I'm using Paul Roark's excellent formula for b/w printing in my 1430, consisting of black, a blue/cyan toner, and four dilutions of the black. I've been using 100% carbon ink in the black position, so aside from the toner position I use one syringe for the remaining five. I am careful to rinse the cart thoroughly after each use.

Is this good practice or not? Fellow photographers I respect do not recommend it. Others say if I rinse well, until water comes out clear, it is acceptable.

All opinions welcome!

Last edited:

Guilherme Maranhao

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1400 with carbon inks
I have been using Paul's formula as well on a 1400. Already used on 4900 before.
I always mix and install from 2% towards 100%, this way, if there is contamination from one solution to the other, the changes will be minimal, but I don't use the blue and yellow toners, just the carbon.

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
I have been using Paul's formula as well on a 1400. Already used on 4900 before.
I always mix and install from 2% towards 100%, this way, if there is contamination from one solution to the other, the changes will be minimal, but I don't use the blue and yellow toners, just the carbon.

Thank you, Guilherme. Good tip on going from low percentage to higher!

Paul