Document Text double prints

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
Document text is printing double about every 2-4 lines. Nozzel checks show the Canon PGBK vertical grid lines start solid at the top then split in two then come back together near the bottom. All of the rest of the colors (5) are good. This is a Canon Pixma ip8720. I've changed the print head and flushed it and replaced. Photos are printing OK but the text is as described. Other forum posters have described same problem with their Canon printers. Have not received any explanation or help from Canon Techs. Some have just decided to junk and get another printer. This printer is about 2-3 years old. Has anyone here dealt with this issue? Thanks, Russell

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It is usually best practice to post a scanned and cropped image of the issue, in your case the entire nozzle check plus or minus a close up of the PGBK issue.

From your description, it sounds like the Pigment ink nozzles have warped due to heat and are irreparable.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...blurry-despite-cleaning-head-alignment.11793/
This is often seen in conjunction with using aftermarket inks. Do you use aftermarket inks and if what?

You can still use the print head but select a Photo Paper Type in order to bypass the PGBK nozzles and use the dye-based inks to make all blacks. Text will no longer be water and highlighter resistant.

If the same issue occurs with a new or known working print head then the issue is in the logic assay board and may even be spread to a new print head, corrupting it as well.

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
Posting a couple of scans of problem.
I've been using Precision Colors dye black in the PGBK 250XL cartridge for over a year. I've talked about this in previous posts.
Tried printing text using a Photo Paper setting but got same result you see in the attachment.
What is the logic assay board? Is it a physical part that can be replaced?

Attachments

• PGBK Nozzel Check  12-23-19.jpg
    PGBK Nozzel Check 12-23-19.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,094
  • Double text printing 12-23-19.jpg
    Double text printing 12-23-19.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 674
  • Full Nozzel Check pattern 12-23-19.jpg
    Full Nozzel Check pattern 12-23-19.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 779

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think you are approaching the end of the useful life of this printhead, there is nothing really what you can do - no cleaning etc - other than replacing the printhead or getting a new printer. It won't help you but I can tell that exactly this same problem is currently discussed in the German Druckerchannel printer forum yesterday, this error occurs quite a lot with a particular generation of printers/printheads. It is not clear whether it is related to refill inks that they accelerate the effect but the problem is reported as well by users of Canon inks. Usage statistics - amount of ink used - are not available in most cases which makes it difficult to judge. One could assume that refill users may print some more and may reach this point earlier than users of genuine inks.
Just follow @stratman 's advise
You can still use the print head but select a Photo Paper Type in order to bypass the PGBK nozzles and use the dye-based inks to make all blacks. Text will no longer be water and highlighter resistant.
for another driver setting - high quality - glossy paper - high resolution paper - to continue printing with the dye photo black ink for the remaining life of this printhead

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Tried printing text using a Photo Paper setting but got same result you see in the attachment.
The issue with the Pigment Black nozzle check is classic signs of irreparable warping of the Pigment Black nozzles.

That you get the identical printing issue when selecting a photo paper type, even if you are using plain paper, is even more concerning as the problem, AFAIK, has been in the Pigment Black nozzles of the print head, and, these nozzles are NOT used when a Photo Paper of whatever type is selected when printing.

Since this is what I thought you meant on a previous post, curiously and something I've not read about in the same scenario, I posited that the issue could be from the logic assay board of the printer. This is not easily swapped out and takes knowledge and sourcing to accomplish. Better to either try a new print head, which may become damaged if the logic assay board is the source of the issue, OR, and my best advice, get a new printer.

You may still use the printer for photo printing if no issue arises doing image prints.

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
Thanks stratman and ink stained fingers. Some points to ponder.

PJDuro

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG7120
Hi folks, I have hit what appears to be a similar error to @russell (I have a Canon Pixma MG7120), but have seen a little improvement when using the deep cleaning mode. I too am seeing fuzzy/duplicated text, but color prints appear to be sharp (no duplication/head offset).

The first (TestPage1.jpg) is the test page printed without running any of the maintenance steps, the second (TestPage3.jpg) is after running head alignment maintenance, with a slight but not insignificant improvement, and the third (TestPage1-HeadAlignment.jpg) is the diagnostic from the head alignment, which seems to pass with flying colors.

So my question, can I fix the text misalignment problem, or is this printer dead?

If yes, then what recommendation do folk have for an inkjet printer/scanner combo to replace it?

Attachments

• TestPage1.jpg
    TestPage1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 560
  • TestPage3.jpg
    TestPage3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 508
  • TestPage1-HeadAlignment.jpg
    TestPage1-HeadAlignment.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 613

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
can I fix the text misalignment problem
No. It is irreparable.

The nozzles are warped from excess heat. At least that is the theory. this can occur using aftermarket Pigment Black ink that has inferior cooling properties. One way to prevent this from occurring is using Quiet or Nighttime setting mode for printing.

but color prints appear to be sharp (no duplication/head offset).
The problem is with the Pigment Black nozzles and not the Dye-based ink color nozzles.

A workaround is to bypass use of the Pigment Black cartridge by using a Photo Paper setting instead of Plain Paper setting. The text may not be as black, not as sharp, and will not be highlighter smear resistance.

Other solutions are a new print head and a new printer.

PJDuro

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG7120
Other solutions are a new print head and a new printer.

Any suggestions about which models are a decent upgrade on the Canon PIXMA MG7120 that we currently have? I found that the wifi scanning was **really** slow with that model, so deferred to a long USB cable for operation (I'm on a Win10 desktop)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Any suggestions about which models are a decent upgrade on the Canon PIXMA MG7120
I do not that would have the variety of color cartridges and maybe the photo image quality of the MG7120. I do not have experience with your printer. Some one else will need to assist you.

What is it you want upgraded and why? In other words, what is lacking with your printer that you want in your next printer?