Document Text double prints

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
the Canon PIXMA MG7120 that we currently have? I found that the wifi scanning was **really** slow with that model,
I am not a Wi-Fi lover of any kind, but how on earth can you use Wi-Fi to scan a document, You must first be in front of the scanner to inset the sheet, so where does Wi-Fi come into that scenario.. You’ve lost me.. :hu

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Wi-Fi often causes problems with printing and scanning, so how about looking for a printer with an Ethernet connector so a wired LAN could be used?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
how on earth can you use Wi-Fi to scan a document
I don't use WiFi with my printer either, and it may be a wholely different matter concerning how long the process takes over WiFi, but I think it is to run the scanning app to alter settings as desired before scanning and then maybe manipulate that image after scanning. This would be useful if the printer is not connected to any computer or not to the computer you want to use.

PJDuro

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG7120
I do not that would have the variety of color cartridges and maybe the photo image quality of the MG7120. I do not have experience with your printer. Some one else will need to assist you.

What is it you want upgraded and why? In other words, what is lacking with your printer that you want in your next printer?
The MG7120 has 5 color cartridges (plus PGBK) unit, which has provided good photo and text reproduction over the last ~5 years or so. The image quality is fine, so something equivalent would be ideal, however, the wifi function of this printer is incredibly poor/slow so that attempting to use the printers scanning functionality over wifi took literally minutes to scan a page at 300 dpi, waaaaay too slow. I would be reluctant to go for another wifi printer unless the performance was far superior to our MG7120

Wi-Fi often causes problems with printing and scanning, so how about looking for a printer with an Ethernet connector so a wired LAN could be used?

An ethernet connected printer would be ideal, I have a 10GB switch on the desk, this would also get away from the very quirky USB connection interface which I've hit with this printer on Windows 10

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Any consumer AIO printers like yours that Canon (or Epson) sells is an unknown entity to me. Don't have experience. All I know are the specs from their web pages. Unfortunately, specs don't always tell the whole story. The forum could use user reviews on these types of printer so we all can learn and one day provide better advise.

The typical user experience with WiFi scanning seems to be like yours. Printing images can be miserably slow as well based on file size. Maybe the new models/software are better performers. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

very quirky USB connection interface which I've hit with this printer on Windows 10
What have you experienced?

I have a 10GB switch
Yowzer! In your home? That's some kind of LAN! :ep

Is it a managed switch?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If there are problems with the Wifi connection you might get a Wifi scanner/analyzer for your smartphone to check if there are other users on the channel you are using, you may change the channel or the WiFi band - in the setup of the WiFi base station/router. The distance is as well an important factor, or you may even consider to change the type of connection - e.g. LAN over power lines or USB via LAN with a print server. I only can tell from own experience that WLAN connections rarely work just work upon installation - without tweaks or changes in the setup etc.

PJDuro

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG7120
I am not a Wi-Fi lover of any kind, but how on earth can you use Wi-Fi to scan a document, You must first be in front of the scanner to inset the sheet, so where does Wi-Fi come into that scenario.. You’ve lost me.. :hu
It just means you don't have USB cables scattered around the desk, it's "cleaner" but only if it works, which in my experience it doesn't very well

Good point, but that still means a cable, though a more effective connection for sure!

What have you experienced? [With regard to Win10 USB active connections]
Yowzer! In your home? That's some kind of LAN! :ep

Is it a managed switch?
The USB connections are quirky, as Win10 tries to hide things like magic, which often means that tracking down active connections etc, and their drivers can become screwy once something goes wrong.

I added a 0, it's 1GB, and yeah a managed switch which enables data transfer across laptop to desktop etc, and would also work great if I did have an ethernet printer/scanner

If there are problems with the Wifi connection you might get a Wifi scanner/analyzer for your smartphone to check if there are other users on the channel you are using, you may change the channel or the WiFi band...
Nope there's no interference, it's just a very sub-optimal way to use the scanning functionality in this particular printer. I do wonder if newer models perform better, which was the origin of my question