Do older (7 pin) Epson auto-reset chips expire?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Up until now, I've always used OEM chips with a resetter in my R220 because I was paranoid about running the tanks dry. But in 2008 I bought 2 sets of carts with auto-reset chips as backups when it looked like all Epson refillable carts would be banned. I opened one to use as a cleaning kit with windex cleaning fluid and as I recall, it worked fine the few times I used it. Well I finally got sick of having to wait for the printer to "settle down" and stop banding due to air whenever I took the carts out and decided to keep on top of refilling. So I decided to run the cleaning fluid through it again before putting new ARC carts in it. When I put the cleaning carts in the printer said all the carts were unrecognized! Since they had been stored in a plastic box, I thought maybe static had done them in, so I switched to the second set from 2008. Same problem. I had to swap the OEM chips from my original refill set and reset them to be able to clean the printer (Cleaning fluid going everywhere, what a mess! I guess the viscosity was too low...)

Fortunately I had just bought a new set of carts. These had different chips, the 7 pins plus an 8th one over the left hand pin, I'm assuming to be used for programming them. These worked. My printer is weird (every so often it would say the light magenta was a bad cart after refilling and resetting and running a few purge pages and I'd have to reset it again), but the new carts worked fine...

At this point I'm starting to think that I should just move to a new printer or get the other (unused) R220 out of storage. But so far it still prints! It's only a pain when I refill it.