Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Let me show you a typical effect with pigment ink on glossy surfaces, and even more prominent on silk/satin type papers.....
Just to be clear, that's not metameric failure. It's a completely different phenomenon, having to do with reflected light. Metameric failure refers to color differences when viewing with two different light sources -- not with a single source, as in these pictures.

It's possible that the colors you observed in the glare could also show metameric failure when viewed with different light sources, but that would be a separate phenomenon.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
As you quote me correctly I'm not referring to metameric effects or try to show them, I'm showing effects typically observed with pigment inks on glossy papers which are most likely more prominent than those.
You were raising your inquiry specifically in relation to gray colors printed with HP printers/inks; I'm not familiar if HP printers, or some of them , use light gray inks or mix any gray from CMY. But let me show some data from an Epson printer - a P400 which does not use gray inks.

I'm printing a gray scale ramp with this printer, profiled for standardized output, measuring a gray spot with an i1Pro spectro I get this spectral response

Gray 1.jpg

It's not flat, but this spectral distribution creates the impression of a neutral gray -
for the viewing condition- color temp - the profile was made for.

What would you expect from a gray - which does not just look neutral at one
light condition but at about any light condition - basically a flat response

Companies like X-Rite or Photo companies like Kodak, Tetanal spent quite some
effort to find mixes of colors/pigments to give you that response, with
their gray scale cards - neutral at any typical light condition - outside and
inside. This is a response of a X-Rite color checker card
Gray 2.jpg

That's a flat spectral response you never can acheive with a CMY mix.
you may get closer with light gray inks - with printers using them, or with
specific ink sets like those piezography ink sets dedicated to B/W printing.