DISSAPOINTED IN MY MP500 and ETBASS !!

kabster

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ahoi,

Have had for "almost" (or just) for a year an mp500!! Because of that printhead going from bad to wurse i had to order another printhead. Did tried to replace the ink tanks first whit new originals, afterwards trying to clean that no good piece of POOP but to no vail.

I couldnt get rid the white spots/lines out of my prints!!

So ive ordered only 1 printhead and finaly received it after a long time waiting for it :eek: .

So, ive installed it tried to align the printhead and bam ERROR couldnt be aligned!!! So the first thing i thought wos somethings fishy whit the nozzles (beeing clogged maybe!!) And yes when i printed an test page of my print head i get ALL the COLORS just fine (even perfect) except for my PGBK-5 pigment black!!! NO BLACK not even an DOT!!!!
So trying to cleaning it and deep cleaing it via software!!! And again not 1 pigment dot printed no RASTER upon printing test page!!!

I explained my situation to etbass, and ofcourse they are very very sorry and regret this matter (like thats gonna help me :|) . So we agreed to return that printhead to them for further examination. After an long waiting game they finaly got the printhead and aknowledged that the printhead wos indeed defect. So they are like we send u another one !!!

Now , after almost 3 weeks i finaly got the second printhead. Now, when installed it i emediatly printed an test page of the nozzles. And u know wot it acutualy managed to print for 1/4 the black pigmented raster diagram for 1/4 or so.

So ive cleaned the heads AGAIN, to get that damn thing to work!! And again i LOST my PIGMENT BLACK in the printouts dammit.

The second printhead , and for the second time i dont have pigment black:mad:, while its just out of the package using an NEW GENIUNE PGBK-5 of ALLOTS of money!!!!

So, my question woud be:

1. Why dont i have my PGBK-5 while i perfectly do have my collors (from te looks of that testpage !!)
2. Does it happend, the printer may have broken the printhead for some odd reason!!!??

Iam REALY asking myself if i shouldnt change to epson!!!

kabster,

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There is a likelihood that an error of some type on the printer itself is taking out the head. Verifying this will be difficult without taking further risks on the same MP500.

Sure sounds like it.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'd probably agree with mikling...

Just to clarify..

- Are you using original OEM PGI-5BK cartridges when you test with the new printhead?
- Who are "etbas" ? (a local Canon supplier?)

Beyond that though I have to say I've got three MP500's in circulation and full time use and they've generally been very good. The only problems I've ever experienced relate to my use of CIS kits and the peculiarities/sensitivity of the Canon printers to such use.

kabster

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
mikling said:
There is a likelihood that an error of some type on the printer itself is taking out the head. Verifying this will be difficult without taking further risks on the same MP500.

Sure sounds like it.
Wot further risks is there to take, its an useless piece of crapp now anyway whitout an printhead :(

One thing though, how come i still use my other color catridges afterwards !??? Moreover, i wos only be able to print PGBK whit the second printhead i received. Wich lets me believe, it cant be the printer beeing malfunction. Else why woud it allow to print PGBK-5 ALL of an SUDDEN !!!!??

websnail said:
I'd probably agree with mikling...

Just to clarify..

- Are you using original OEM PGI-5BK cartridges when you test with the new printhead?
Like i have stated,

kabster said:
while its just out of the package using an NEW GENIUNE PGBK-5 of ALLOTS of money!!!!
I used indeed and only GENUINE as in original OEM CATRIDGES!!!!!!!!

websnail said:
- Who are "etbas" ? (a local Canon supplier?)
Oh that, yes they are an European Canon "Repair" portal.

websnail said:
Beyond that though I have to say I've got three MP500's in circulation and full time use and they've generally been very good. The only problems I've ever experienced relate to my use of CIS kits and the peculiarities/sensitivity of the Canon printers to such use.
Be honest please, it is/wos an great printer. But, u woud be lying to me when u say its also FAST, and TEXT quality is near as LASER quality :/ . I expected much more in terms of quality for such an expensive printer back then!!!
I guess they "canon" did improved over the months / years by manufacturing the mp510, mp520 and so on and on from wot ive read across the net. Infact does some one know the list of the 500 serries :/ !!?

Also, can someone tell me if the black bandings still ocure in graphics outprints when printing in draft or even normal mode !!??? Just like jbpabba experienced in this http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=727 thread !???

many thanks,

kabster,

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I still recommend people buy a single solid printer instead of those all in ones. They seem to last longer and they are cheaper plus when it does wear out they don't cost as much to replace.

Good printer + Good Scanner = smart move.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Knightcrawler, I used to be in the same space as yourself on this. But then there were times I simply needed to copy something and having to fire up the PC and software to copy didn't seem to be that bad UNTIL I did get a deal on a multifunction and I now see why they make a lot of sense for many people.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Knightcrawler:

You are correct, especially if you are looking for superior quality output. The multifunctions produce very good results but not the best available as with standalone peripherals.

For my current needs, the MP830 does a fantastic job and it takes up less space (which I don't have a lot of to spare) than 2 separate peripherals. I also like that I can copy (xerox checks and statements primarily) without turning on the computer. For me it was an excellent compromise that has not seemed like a compromise at all.

Your point about replacement cost is excellent and is the biggest negative (for me) about using multifunctionals. I decided to roll the dice on this purchase and it has been working out so far. Fortunately my multifunctional is running strong at ~2 years old so the cost to benefit is looking better every day!

kabster

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
KnightCrawler said:
I still recommend people buy a single solid printer instead of those all in ones. They seem to last longer and they are cheaper plus when it does wear out they don't cost as much to replace.

Good printer + Good Scanner = smart move.
Arrgh, this comment makes my choice for another printer difficult now!! I know all to well that i easily can buy an cheap printer yet producing the same if not better quality printouts as the more expensive AIO's multifunctionals!!

But like mikling stated, its indeed convenient to take copys as an stand alone whitout the use of an pc + and this is an BiG PLUS. I just dont have the space anymore at my place to have and a PRINTER and A FLATBED SCANNER seperated. And since i need both , my choice wos simple to go for my second AIO (canon this time :|).

My first AIO wos an HP PSC, oww my did i REGRET THAT PURCHASE :eek:!! Have bhought that psc a few weeks and bang sheetfeeder eats many pages at once resulting in paper jams :mad:.

THAT MUST BE A COMMON PROBLEM WHIT HP PRODUCTS. As i have had such an paperjam issues for as long i sticked whit HP. WHEITER IT WOS AN MULTIFUNCTIONAL OR NOT. Have had 4 or 5 HP printers in 4, 5 years . And whit every each and single one of them i had paper jams. HELL it couldnt even load photo paper higher then 190 grams!!!!! The A4 just got stuck when i used paper from about 210 grams.

SO HP IS NO OPTION WOT SO EVER ANYMORE!!!!

The mechanics of hp is UTTER CRAP! So poeple be warned!!! I cant even give u an estimate number on the time i had to restart because of the pages not beeing in the right nummeric order caused by paperjams JESUS MOTHER JOSEFF!!!

kabster,

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that HP makes different levels of products, some of their higher end stuff is good, but always remember you get what you pay for. Pay little and expect much will get you disappointed most of the time but not all the time.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Why don't you call Canon tech support, instead of the computer store who sold the printer to you? You will probably get a replacement MP500 under Canon warranty. There is probably something wrong in the printer. You should not be the person to deal with it. Let Canon have it and you deserve a new one. Once you get a replacement you may be surprised by how good this printer is.