Disconnect printer from mains

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Many people use a main switch to disconnect the computer and other equipment after closing down. But for certain generation of Canon printers it is recommended to keep the printer connected to mains all the time.

Until now I kept my Canon printer connected to the mains. But it appeared that the printer starts a cleaning cycle that takes minutes almost every time I make a print. This makes the printer slow, it uses too much ink and the spilt ink is left somewhere in the printer.

After having the printer disconnected from mains for a while, it appeared to print immediately after the printing command, without a previous cleaning cycle.

I use a main switch for my computer and most equipment and now the Canon belongs to that equipment too.

And the Epson printers? My Epson printers were daily switched from mains for years now, and Im satisfied with their ink use. Without the automatic cleaning cycles there are still no clogging problems.
The B40W didnt have clogging problems for years and it seems that Epson printers from off that generation dont have the clogging problems that older Epsons are known for.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Canon dye and pigment printers operate much the same when in use but will act totally different when not in use,
pigment printers for instance never turn on at all , your must turn them on with the on/off button
plus they never enter sleep mode, they stay on 24/7.

The newer printer models however have a tendency to run a clean cycle every time there are asked to print a single sheet,
my iP7250 does this for three to seven minutes every time, the older models do this also but only occasionally.

Use the auto switch off in the print driver to turn off your printer so when youre finished for the evening with your computer system
and its powered down then turn everything off from the mains, by switch or by pulling the power plug.

Your printer with power on in (Sleep mode) again when your computer is switched back on
by way of the USB cable and it will then wait for a print command to fully switch on.

Never finish by pulling the plug on your printer when the green light is still illuminated..

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a note about the Pro-100.

Canon says that if you use the wireless connection, the auto off will not work. If you want to shut the printer off, you must do it manually -- by the button on the printer, not by just pulling the plug.

The wireless connection for this printer is so good that this is a small price to pay for the ability to print from anywhere you have a network connection.

Good Luck!
Wil

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I leave my Epson WP-4530 on all the time and print wirelessly to it in another room. It prints immediately and for one or two sheets, even double sided, it's all done by the time I get to the other room. Copies start very soon, no long waiting for the bulb to heat up like my Canon MP780. And those huge cartridges last so long, I don't plan to re-ink anymore.