Differences in Browswers, and video cards Need help in seeing issues

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've been busy redoing my web site and wasted at least half a day trying to get the output correct on the screen.
I've been told that browsers are different and expected slight output. But never figured out it was that much. Internet Explorer and Firefox comes out different. I understood that. Then wham, there are differences in video cards as well. Same firefox, different video cards will output slightly different things. That, I didn't know nor expect.
I'm going to invite people across to check the site and report back if there are any output glitches that my PCs and video cards are not picking up. Better I fix it early than trying to fix a few hundred pages down the road. It's not totally functional as yet. The PGI-5 CLI-8 choice on the 5 tank printer is being used as the reference build. So far, the inkset and bulk ink tabs are built.

If you go across, please report back if you see strange artifacts and let me know what browser is being used, The OS used and if you know what video card is also used. So far the inkset and bulk ink tabs are built.

Thanks in advance for your time.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Win 7 64bit, Radion 5770 graphic card, The latest Firefox.
The only problem I found was when I click on "Inks" the heading "Scientific Formulations & Batch Testing" is sitting too close on top of the small text whereas all the other headings have a nice gap.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Win 7 64 bit, Explorer 64 bit, NVidia GeForce GTS 250
All works perfectly for me, no problems to report. :thumbsup

I forgot to mention my Explorer is version 9.05..

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
No problems on Firefox 11 & Firefox 3.6 in different systems (Windows XP), both with hardware acceleration off. The artifacts you mention are probably due to hardware acceleration (might I add here the possibility of an overclocked graphics card producing artifacts under hardware accelerated settings ?) & different 3D settings in the cards.

Site works with Internet Explorer 6 too but most transparency effects don't display correctly. However the links work even under IE6.

Good job with the redesign.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
No problem here with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Safari 5.1.4 . Also tested in FF Version 11 no problem

If I was building a new site I would reject any user with IE6, it's simply not worth designing for and the time it takes to make that C$*ppy browser work at all on normal pages :he

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think I have spotted an error. I think the clock on this page is intended to show Toronto time, as a service to international customers who would like to contact you during business hours. The clock shows my local time, not Toronto Local time: http://www.precisioncolors.com/contact.html When viewing this page time zone is Rome, Summertime as used in Denmark. The time shown is independent of OS, browser and hardware. I have computers running Win XP, Vista and 7 all 32 bit and one computer with Kubuntu 64 bit and one with Linux Mint 32 bit. All computer show the Rome Summertime, whether the browser is IE, Firefox, Konqueror, Google Chrome or Opera.

This may be a better clock: http://www.timeanddate.com/clocks/free.html?n=250

I am willing to check your site using various computers, but what are the things I should look for?

Peter.

Edit: I added this picture to show my point:
6881_timezones.jpg

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No problems with Linux Mint 7 32 bit, Mozilla Firefox 3.0.17 (for Linux Mint - 1.0), GeForce FX 5500 with hardware acceleration.
As PeterBJ said, the clock shows my local hour.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hey Mates,, thanks for your help and the clock, I had thought of and your answers are pefect. I will change it and now back into the cave of programming.
Special Thanks for the clock suggestion. Perfect solution.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Unfortunately Mike the web design and browser compatibility problem is one that takes 90% of the time for what amounts to 10% of the overall detail... It's a pain in the butt.

There are tools out there that help you see how different browsers and browser versions can view your site... This is one example:
http://browsershots.org/