Difference between bci-3 and bci-6 colour carts...

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I've just been given 84 new, boxed Genuine Canon BCI-3 colour cartridges. While I use several printers with the bci-6 series, Neither I or any of my customers have any models using BCI-3s.

I am finding conflicting information as to whether it is possible to use Genuine BCI-3 colour cartridges in printers designed for BCI-6s.

Anyone know FOR SURE if I can use the BCI-3s without damaging any of the BCI-6 printheads?

Thanks for any accurate info.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Why do think it should not work ? Even 3rd party cartridges denote BCI-3/BCI-6 compatible. And this cartridges can be used in both types of printers without any problems.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
On another thread:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3894

we generally decided that the ink is the only difference between BCI-6 and BCI-3e cartridges. The only possible problem as far a threat to your printer is that the inks in the BCI-3e cartridges are not as fine as for BCI-6 and might clog the nozzles, but I doubt it. There may be an issue with color balance in printouts.

These cartridges seem to go for $5 or more on eBay. If I had them, I'd try to sell them on eBay starting at $3 and if I couldn't, I'd use them in a 5-cartridge printer and see if I could determine any color shift and if not, I'd continue to use them and then re-ink them.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks to pharmacist and ghwellsjr for the information.....So the general conclusion is that the inks are indeed different, and MAY affect printheads. That still does not seem definitive to me. Has anyone here used genuine BCI-3s for a while INSTEAD of BCI-6s, and could they post their results, please.

I won't be using them for photo printing, just invoices, letters, brochures, everyday printing etc. I could sell them cheaply on eBay, I guess, but they're worth more to me if I can actually use them without damaging any printers.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Manuchau I dont think the BCI-3 ink would cause problems in a BCI-6 print head.
Look at the printers that used the use the same print head but came with different carts.

The i850 came with BCI-3 and the i560 came with BCI-6 both use the same print head.

Edit:
Too add to my confusion I once had 2 sets of BCI-3 carts. These cars were used genuine Canon never refilled and one set of carts had lighter colored Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow than the other set?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, Ron..that's the info I was looking for.....sincerely appreciated!