Did I make a mistake? --- RX500/R300 Refillable Cartridges & Clogging

tmiguel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
First of all Hello Everybody!

I'm new to this forum and I'm in need of your help. I own an Epson RX500, which has been sitting in the shelf for a few months. Ink has run out and, I couldn't afford a set of oem cartridges. I hadn't ever used non-oem ink in these printer. Since I have a laser printer and haven't been printing photos I almost forgot I had the RX500!!! Everything went fine until my son started to bring more and more homework from school (he's 7) and I realised we had to put the rx500 to work again. I did a little research, browsed the forum, tried to settled for the Refillable vs Ciss question and decided to give it a try!

I contacted Websnail, through is website, and he was very helpful answering my questions and giving me some guidelines. I decided to go through some refillable cartridges! OktoInkjet didn't have a set for my printer so I decided to buy a set somewhere else and refill with ink from Inkjet.

I was able to grab a bargain from ebay (at least that's what I thought in the beginning... now I having some doubts)! A full set of Refillable cartridges for R300/RX500 cost me 0,99... that's it 0,99 (it's here: tied to post the url but since I'm a new member it doesn't let me... :/). The only downside was that they came filled with ink. I would've prefer if they came empty, but I thought I should used them anyway and refilled them with the ink I choose after washing them with distilled water. I was just waiting for the cartridges to arrive, and see if they worked, to order the ink from Oktoinkjet!!!

I've received the cartridges yesterday, installed them on my printer and printed a nozzle check to see how bad it was! Only one color (cyan) showed up!!! Nothing I wasn't expecting after months in the shelf.... I've tried several head cleaning but not only it didn't worked out but it get worst! Now not even the cyan prints!!! I Live in Portugal, we don't have Windex here, at least that I know about, so I decided to try with some window cleaning fluid. I removed the cartridges, soaked a pad with the the window cleaner, put a soaked pad below the print head and let it rest for 2-3 hours. Removed the pads, reinstalled cartridges, did a head cleaning but with no results. :(

Now, a couple of weeks ago I found an R300 on the garbage! Nothing was broken, power cord was there, 6 non-oem cartridges were fitted, and I thought I should check it out! I figured the R300 could be clogged and, I might, just might could put her back to work again. problem could've been clogging. I decided to try the cartridges on her to confirm it was really a clogged printer head I had in the RX500. Printed a test page on winXP and, considering it has been in the street for a day or two, I was pretty satisfied with the clogging I found. I thought I could use SSC service utility to do a head clean and everything should be back to normal. Boy, I was wrong... After the head cleaning the print just stopped printing, as if the head become completely clogged!!! I print a test page and I get a blank page!!! That's it!

That got me thinking... what if... the problem isn't just my printers head? Could it be possible that the cartridges, or the ink, got something to do with it?

Any advice, or thoughts on the subject?! :p :/

Thank you all!!!
Tiago