Designjet 500ps pigment ink suggestions

Joe S.

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
many epson,hp,brother
i am looking for suggestions on pigment ink to use in a designjet 500 ps in working shape that i am picking up for $100, i know that the black is pigment ink, and the cmy is dye, i am looking for dirt cheap ink, probably nano digital ink. i have a need to print on glossy photo paper and plain paper, and thinking about getting photo black pigment ink, i figure since the print heads are the same, that the color print heads will handle pigment ink fine, with flushing first. i have some ND pigment ink for my epson wf-7620, but it rubs off of the cheap-ish photo paper im using

note, i will be using a ciss with printer, it uses 10 and 82 hp cartridges and hp 11 printheads

Multifacet Digital Print

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Designjet 800
i am looking for suggestions on pigment ink to use in a designjet 500 ps in working shape that i am picking up for $100, i know that the black is pigment ink, and the cmy is dye, i am looking for dirt cheap ink, probably nano digital ink. i have a need to print on glossy photo paper and plain paper, and thinking about getting photo black pigment ink, i figure since the print heads are the same, that the color print heads will handle pigment ink fine, with flushing first. i have some ND pigment ink for my epson wf-7620, but it rubs off of the cheap-ish photo paper im using

note, i will be using a ciss with printer, it uses 10 and 82 hp cartridges and hp 11 printheads
did you ever get to the bottom of this ?
did you ever get it running on ALL pigment ?

All the best

Chris

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Never run dye heads on pigment, HP is not epson with piezo heads. Thermal heads will clog.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Some Canon and HP printers with separate printheads and ink cartridges use one pigment black ink cartridge and 3 or more dye ink cartridges. The pigment ink section of the printhead is different from the dye ink section with wider nozzles to avoid clogging.

Multifacet Digital Print

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Designjet 800
Some Canon and HP printers with separate printheads and ink cartridges use one pigment black ink cartridge and 3 or more dye ink cartridges. The pigment ink section of the printhead is different from the dye ink section with wider nozzles to avoid clogging.
I know what your saying but I keep reading on old sign forums that people used to run pigment through the colour heads, leading back to a Chinese manufacturer who used to do some inks for it who said they used smaller particles in the pigment to stop clogging but they were originally made for the Designjet 5000. However they stopped doing them due to lack of demand a few years ago. Maybe there's nobody out there doing them anymore after all it is an old printer.

Latest posts