Dell / Lexmark

ewock

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dell printers are made by Lexmark. Can I use Lexmark ink cartridges in my Dell and save money? Guess that would be too easy.

Kenyada

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Dell printers are slightly different than the Lexmark models. The cartridges are, therefore, NOT cross compatible, to my knowledge.

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
I don't know anything about current Lexmark printers, but I had a Lexmark 5700 a long time ago (1999-2000). At that time Lexmark also made printers for Compaq and a few other names I can't remember. The cartridges from the 5700 - 12A1970 and 12A1980 - would not fit (actually were not supposed to) into similar printers rebadged for the other companies. There was a small piece of maroon colored plastic in the cap of the Lexmark cartridges which had to align with a tab in the carrier for the cartridges to seat. Each make had a unique key to prevent the usage of a different cartridge. This could be defeated simply by removing the plastic key in the printhead cap. Then any cartridge would fit any other printer based on the L/M 5700 or 3200. It's possible the same type of lockout is used on current printers.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to regard this entire thread as something I cry about. I used to own some Lexmark printers. In terms of printing economy its just hopeless unless you refill
and even then your options are limited. Lexmarks are good printers in terms of printing average stuff and reliable. Just hopeless in terms of printing economy.

And to debate on if dell cartridges are worse than Lexmark in terms of economy or ways to eke out slightly better economy from a Lexmark or clone? I guess things always could get worse.

Wise up, get a better Canon printer. I did. What I learned on this and other forums.
Paying off for me.----got ip4000 and MP730 for my two computers.

Pretty sure my B/W text costs down to about a half cent a page ink consumables without refilling but using non OEM carts. You will never get in that neighborhood with a Lexmark or a Dell unless you are very good and lucky at refilling.

Anyone want to buy a lightly used Lexmark 4270?

zakezuke

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Osage said:
In terms of printing economy its just hopeless unless you refill
and even then your options are limited. Lexmarks are good printers in terms of printing average stuff and reliable. Just hopeless in terms of printing economy.
Not all lexmarks are that bad. Keep in mind that many sub $100 printers have horrible printing economy and lexmarks tend to corner the market on low or no entry cost but high consumable cost sometimes in excess of $10,000/gal. There are printers in the canon and epson lightup that are bad. Just so happens that canon has the ip3000, a sub $100 printer that isn't as badly priced as the ip1500.

I'll agree that if you own one of those free dell printers that it's in your best interest to buy another printer as it would likely be equal in cost to the refill and come with more than a thimble sized of ink. I don't remember the Dell carts costing all that much more than office depot cart, but I don't know if the volumes are equal... it wouldn't shock me if they were not. I've heard rumors that you could remove the excess plastic and buy lexmark carts for the dells.. but I don't know this for a fact. I'm surpised that one isn't sueing Dell for this practice. What I also don't understand is why you don't see dell refills on the market.

Anyhow... There are sometimes good reason to pick a lexmark. Some of their all in ones have very decent software, ease of use is to some worth paying for. Some of their AIO models have high yield takes inbetween the expected yield of a canon ip3000/4000 and HP. Nothing to sneeze at if being used as a SOHO inbound fax device... well assuming you have a model with a true blue faxmoden on board.

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have seen on some supply sites that you can buy replacement lids for Lexmark carts
to convert to Dell sorry can't remember exactly where but a good search on the net should get results

thetincan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
honestly the only place where I've found Dell cartridges so far is UCINK http://www.ucink.com
They're discounted too, so you don't have to pay full price...