Decent non chipped Canon - where do I get one?

Jetstream Rider

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

Am trying to find a Canon ip4000 or similar non chipped Canon. As suggested in a different thread, I have tried all the local and national dealers near me to no avail, and even ebay only has one for sale in the uk (its an ex demo and I'm not too sure as it could well be blocked etc). So my question is, what are the alternatives, are there any half decent non chipped Canons available for general printing and photos? Even an A3 would be ok, but I imagine the ix4000 is chipped?

I realise I am not the only one looking for an ip4000 - and I don't expect you to give your secrets away, but I would like to know if I have an alternative that would work.

Cheers,
JR

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Jetstream Rider,

You are correct, the ix4000 is chipped. But if you are looking for an ip4000 in the UK, you might look around for Canon refurbished ones.
The other suggestion is to look for the ip4000 printer engine in multi-funtional form---which are the models MP750, MP760, and MP780.

At least in the USA, there are still many MP780 available---and they can print, copy, scan, and fax. I managed to get the one generation back
MP730 refurbished cheap that does the same and its a really solid unit.

But almost any printer using the BCI-3&6 cartridges would do you quite well.--as any of those are non chipped.

And your tip off for a chipped Canon is anything using the CLI-5&8 cartridges.

But a ip4200 or ip5200 is still a decent printer---they can be refilled---its just more hassle--its not a unsurmountable barrier.
And if chip resetters come on the market for these units--they will be great choices.

So my advice is keep looking--and when the deal comes along--grab it. But those MP models may expand your search range.

And with some luck Websnail or others more knowlegable about UK markets may come along and give you better
UK market advice.

Jetstream Rider

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Osage - since posting I have been doing a little bit more digging and eventually went for an ix4000. I did think about the i9950 since it is not chipped, but then the massive difference in price equates to a fair amount of ink and is probably not worth it in the end, especially as a chip resetter is likely if not actually assured. I decided to treat myself to an A3 printer instead of an A4 - so we'll see what it turns out like. I'll post here when I have had a play with it (when it arrives!) as info on the ix seems a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

The MP780 is more over here than the ix4000 - so I have managed to get a chipped A3 printer for less than the price of a non chipped A4. Not the most desirable situation, but for my uses probably even money at the end of the day.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Jetstream Rider,

The ix4000 sounds like a great printer--and A3 is always a nice option---but if the chipped Cartridges start getting a little salty to replace,
always remember a chipped Canon can be refilled. So to be safe--keep your wingnuts and use them to cap the ink outlet hole when the cartridge is depleted.
And chip resetters may be coming out soon--some say next month. Keep us posted---after all this forum is about shared experiences.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Please do keep us posted about the ix4000 as I'm just itching to get my hands on one of those printers (for purely professional reasons only... honest! :p)...

I noticed that this printer only has 4 carts in it as well, with the CLI-8BK missing from the usual suspects so I guess that makes it a little less for photos but then hey, it's barely used on most of the other printers that have it anyways... the ix5000 is no different it seems but a little bit nippier at 25ppm vs' 18ppm (in marketing spiel that is)... but of course at a cost... :p

Ok... I need to go now before I start drooling on my keyboard and buy one by "mistake"... ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well I got an iX4000 today... only done one print but already it's impressed me with a fast A3 print of a photo that came out in pretty good quality...

Needless to say I'll be converting this baby to use a CIS in the future but boy is this thing a monster... No CD tray, no underbelly paper feed.. Only 3 CLI-8's (as noted above) and 1 PGI-5... so less tubing required...

All in all though, I'm impressed... :)

Jetstream Rider

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Websnail and Osage - see my other post, Canon ix4000 review. I posted it separately as more people will find it that way. Hope it helps.