DE MOTU

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Absolutely nothing to do with Printer Knowledge, except that it may appeal to the @The Hat and @3dogs and any other philosopher who has nothing to do at the moment.

I was enjoying the sun and happened upon these two objects in the sky.

HangGlider.JPG A hang glider, a mere dot in the sky, level with the clouds, who must have been at 1000 metres or more, a light aircraft passed by at a lower altitude,

and DE MOTU.JPG another light aircraft at a lower altitude. Subsequently on viewing the image, I was puzzled by the registration markings, was it a new German system of identification marking?

No, I Googled "DE MOTU" and found a Wikipedia entry from 1721. This guy obviously didn't believe Issac Newton.

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Don't know that I would like to be up near the clouds suspended from a hang glider in Europes crowded skies.
As to de motu.......you gettin bored? Though as you observe a somewhat wry naming that could be taken as the celebration of motion, the joy of defeating the laws of gravity and all other forces of nature.....bit like naming a very tall person...."shorty"

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Did you read the Wiki entry? It is a fine example of how thinking has changed since the early 18th century? It struck me that you might find it interesting, particularly the logic applied.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes I did. What really struck me was how little academia and academic pursuit has changed. Thinking may change due to advances in research and technology but consider the tools with which they had abailable to work with.....we did not get so far on the underlying LAWS of movement since then which puts into perspective what giants these men were in their own time.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I don't think you would get the clergy challenging scientific papers today, attempting to sway public opinion may be. Yes, major progress used to occur in periodic steps, more related to exceptionally talented individuals. Now it tends to be more uniform.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don't think you would get the clergy challenging scientific papers today, attempting to sway public opinion may be. Yes, major progress used to occur in periodic steps, more related to exceptionally talented individuals. Now it tends to be more uniform.

I disagree on all counts fundamentalism has never been so powerful in the highest places worldwide but that discussion is outside the ideals of this forum.