Data cables from Computer to Printer

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I am on the lookout for help again. We have now renovated the study floor so the room is now a clean slate as it were. Currently I have all my printers sitting within the distance permitted by 'STANDARD' USB cables, about 1.5 - 2m. This means that the part of the desk near the Computer towers is cluttered with all manner of printers -2,tablets - 2,mouse pads and keyboards -2.

I would like to have all my printers on another bench away from the tower. Power extension cords take care of power supply so that bit is easy. However, I am using USB and the longest I can find is 5m, and I am wanting to conceal all cables behind a desk set up that looks a bit like a 9. This means that I have to connect to a point that is about 8-10m travel, 2.5 along a bench beside me to the back wall,then another, 2.5m along a bench behind me and a further 1-2.5m along behind a bench the other side on the outside wall. It would be simplest to go in a straight line to my left BUT that is my access and I do NOT want to be stepping over cables laid on the floor between two benches.
Thats my what, and the why taken care of.......so

Can I do it, and if so how? Part of the reason is also to put the printers on a bench top with cupboards below to store all my refill gear, papers and that sort of stuff, all in one place ....neat and tidy :lol:

Cheers, appreciate an good ideas, as I only seem to have a lot of bad ones at the moment......

Andrewe

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The maximum allowable length for a normal USB cable is 5 metres. It is a limitation in the USB system. There is however a solution. Special amplifier/repeater/range extender cables are available. A hub can also be used as a range extender, allowing 5 metres of cable from the computer to the hub and 5 more metres of cable(s) from the hub to the printer(s). A range extender cable can be compared to a one port hub.

There might be a problem though with using hubs or range extenders: Some Canon printers of the all-in-one type only work properly when the USB cable is connected directly to the computer, no hubs are allowed. I know nothing about Epson printers.

For more info about range extenders check this site: http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html . You could also try a Google search on "usb range limits" and "usb range extenders".

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
3dogs
There is no problem using 5m USB cables to get all of your printers working at a distance from your computer.

However as PeterBJ has stated the Canon all in one printers have problems with that setup
due to the inbuilt scanner on board but all other printers will work properly.

Use a 5m cable then a powered hub then another 5m cable and a powered hub and so on
till you get to your printers location, I use four hubs in my own setup.

The other way is to use USB to Ethernet to USB again
giving you a range of 300 metres if powered hubs are not an option..:)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Criky!!! you guys are FAST!

Reaaly BRILLIANT!! many, many thanks fellas. You have taken a great weight off my back, and my ears thank you too.......she of the caustic words will be SPEECHLESS, as will I, wont say a word where this wisdom came from....sorry (I know!! I AM a CALLOW sorta fella! :bow

Seriously tho, thanks that makes my plans real easy. A decent powered hub would be A$60 and I will need two I am thinking. Will the Ethernet cable do as good a job, or is it worth going with the two hubs. I will do whats best, not cheapest on this.

Andrew

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
3dogs

When using USB hubs make sure your careful when mixing, use USB 2 first then USB 1 this is only necessary
when you have a printer that uses USB1 only it can however be then plugged into the USB2 hub but use USB1 cable,
your USB prices are very steep surly you can get them on line 50% cheaper.

The Ethernet option is by far the more expensive route because youll need two Ethernet hubs,
one at eider end to convert the signal and plugs back to USB again (150 + )

When using powered hubs you can sometimes get away with a ten metre cable length
but it has to be a good quality cable i.e. double insulated. (No 5 buck cable need apply)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Check out http://www.monoprice.com for your cable and hub needs. Good quality and low prices but shipping (and voltage conversion?) may kill the deal for you in Australia.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
DealExtreme sells internationally and while not quite as cheap as Monoprice is still probably cheaper than your local stores. I found it a little difficult to search for just a "plain" USB cable, using Advanced search and looking for "USB A B" In Title worked best. Also DealExtreme tends to take a long time with shipping.

I'm sure there's probably some online Aussie company that sells electronics at fair prices too.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks all, I will follow up on all that when I get back from Tasmania. Sandra is doing a conference in Hobart so I am going to tag along and see if I can get some dramatic coastal storm pics to print when I get back.

Really do appreciate the support available here. Dont know how a person would get by that does not now that these communities exist. It also takes knowledgeable folks with the will to assist and so often their work and research goes sota un-noticed, folks just accept that it is available and move on with what they are doing.

Cheers

Andrew