Damn you, Baryta

Per Carlsson

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
"Wasting a bit of ink when changing between photo black ink and matte black ink on my new Epson 3880 printer will not be an issue since I'll hardly ever print on glossy paper." That was what I thought since I strongly prefer matte paper over standard high gloss paper.

But then I tried a Baryta paper (Canson Baryta Photographique 310) and it turns out I love it. Crap. Seems I'll be changing black ink after all. :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If changing the black cartridges becomes a problem then why not try using the one black on both types of paper, you never know you might get some very interesting and surprising effects that you might like.

Trail does not necessary always have to mean error.. :oops:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
"Wasting a bit of ink when changing between photo black ink and matte black ink on my new Epson 3880 printer will not be an issue since I'll hardly ever print on glossy paper." That was what I thought since I strongly prefer matte paper over standard high gloss paper.

But then I tried a Baryta paper (Canson Baryta Photographique 310) and it turns out I love it. Crap. Seems I'll be changing black ink after all. :D

Switching between blacks is only a problm if you stay on OEM inks, and if ink cost is an issue.
My understanding of the switch is that the inks have only differing pigment densities, and fooling the printer settings may require some experimentation to maintain the effect you like. Baryta wants PK so even if you had two PK carts it will do the switch......using up ink still. Because I have only printed one sheet on that paper I have not yet made my own profile for the paper opting instead for Platine....still wants PK tho!!
I did see better results in my prints when I made my own profiles compared to Cansons stock profile on other Canson papers.

Most of my printing is done on matte papers so I used the printer settings to increase ink, and slow passes to compensate.
Many people chase intense blacks, I am fortunate that I have a liking for an 'aged' look so the output I get suits my taste.

I have the problem of not being able to use enough ink because I purchased a litre of each at the start so ink WASTE is more of a problem for the maintenance tank, and I solve that by resetting and using paper towl for pads.

I like @TheHat's suggestion, I may use a couple of sheets of baryta to test that myself.

Last edited:

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Glossy Photo Black can be used on matte paper with good results. The black is a bit less deep, but still deeper than the black of the chemical paper we used in the nineties.