"CryptoFirewall" Chipped Ink Cartridges

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The inkjet printer business is about to wage yet another round of crypto-warfare on their patrons. A new encrypted chipped ink cartridge that uses disposable keys - one use then toss away... manditory.

See more at http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6193424.html?tag=nl.e539.

I really don't get the logic of the article. I have yet to read about counterfeit Canon or Epson ink cartridges or printers. Using an aftermarket ink is not counterfeiting nor is it illegal. That ink manufacturers are losing money is a function of the free market where consumers purchase products that perform reasonably for a reasonable cost. The major ink manufacturers charge obscene amounts for their branded ink cartridges and then complain and concoct restrictive arrangements (both legal and technological) to enslave the very consumers that put food on the ink manufacturers' tables.

I calculate that a gallon of Canon CLI-8 ink (plus cartridge and chip) costs approximately $4000! That gives a new perspective about gasoline prices. Make the ink more reasonably priced and most people will not circumvent your cash cow.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You probably know the printer manufacturers' major income comes form the supplies, not the main product. ;)

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. That is the worst piece of technical journalism in a long time. The writer confuses several concepts, and seems to mix up refilling with counterfeiting. Locking chips will require complete disclosure at the time of sale. This is a loser idea anyway from a commercial perspective. Read down the opinion posts below the item for some interesting comments.

Dan@blue-optix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As Simon quite rightly points out, the ink is where the manufacturers make their money.

You have to ask yourself, which would you prefer:
To spend 500 on a printer and then 3 per cartridge
or 50 on a printer and 15 on a cartridge (and the rest)

To be honest if i was doing as much printing as I used to then I would go for the first option, however for your average 20 pages a month family the 2nd option is fine.

If you are in the printing business and you spend a couple of K on a printer then it costs barely anything to run.....

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman said:
The inkjet printer business is about to wage yet another round of crypto-warfare on their patrons. A new encrypted chipped ink cartridge that uses disposable keys - one use then toss away... manditory.

See more at http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6193424.html?tag=nl.e539.

I really don't get the logic of the article. I have yet to read about counterfeit Canon or Epson ink cartridges or printers. Using an aftermarket ink is not counterfeiting nor is it illegal. That ink manufacturers are losing money is a function of the free market where consumers purchase products that perform reasonably for a reasonable cost. The major ink manufacturers charge obscene amounts for their branded ink cartridges and then complain and concoct restrictive arrangements (both legal and technological) to enslave the very consumers that put food on the ink manufacturers' tables.

I calculate that a gallon of Canon CLI-8 ink (plus cartridge and chip) costs approximately $4000! That gives a new perspective about gasoline prices. Make the ink more reasonably priced and most people will not circumvent your cash cow.
I hate it when people compare the cost of one thing to another. People don't use that much ink so a GALLON is a lot. Gasoline is used in gallons and $4 is a lot when you need to get to work everyday.

PS: It should be illegal to block ink refilling altogether. Force the consumer to pay upfront for the real printer cost and then allow for low cost competitive supplies.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
KnightCrawler said:
I hate it when people compare the cost of one thing to another. People don't use that much ink so a GALLON is a lot. Gasoline is used in gallons and $4 is a lot when you need to get to work everyday.
I hate it when people don't get ironical humor. :cool: