Cross contamination: sometimes might be temporary

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I've read around here about cross contamination and it seems that it isn't very well understood. I can tell you that my yellow has always been bad, since I first acquired this printer (I never replaced the cartridge). However, the cyan was funny. It turned dark overnight. Well, here's an example about how these other colours seemed to quickly improve.

I was just flushing out a yellow cartridge, deeply invigorated by all that black and green that came oozing out, and then after replacing it with new ink, I tried it out in my printer. So the yellow had been clearly contaminated right through, but it seems that maybe the magenta and cyan could be saved. I made my own ymc test pattern and found that the magenta slowly became lighter and less contaminated with each print.

This one I believe is the first one. Don't be distracted by the yellow, that worked out eventually (I guess it takes time once you've flushed a cartridge and replaced the ink) but look at that magenta
7470_post_flush-refill-1.png

I think less than a minute later, I tried again
7470_post_flush-refill_unknown_maybe_very_first.png

The magenta's now streaking, but that's because the contaminants are disappearing.

then less than a minute later
7470_post_flush-refill-2.png

I wish I was more organized about labelling these things, because the yellow is not improving consistently. Maybe I got these out of order. However, the magenta is looking brighter.

I think I waited a little longer before doing this one
7470_post_flush-refill-3.png

As you can see the magenta looks like it should. Now the cyan used to be darker, several weeks ago, but it's pretty good now. However, in this last shot, it's a little darker, so now I don't know what to think :( (I analyzed the picture data for that last one, and it seems that the green and red content in the cyan is the same as with the other pics, but the blue content is less)

I think I read somewhere that cross contamination might be caused by some sort of vacuum action from an emptying cartridge. I noticed that around the time my black 6 cartridge was signalling low, that the cyan suddenly went dark. I wish I knew how to prevent that sort of thing.

In case anyone is wondering about what happened to the yellow, after leaving it alone for--I dunno--5 or ten minutes or so, it came out perfect in the next test pattern.