CR-10 Prints are turning out TERRIBLE! Help troubleshooting

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
overexposed areas - it's not like that in real life. Printed in Sunlu copper silk PLA+, so very shiny
It is a nice caramel color for your Benchy. Now I want a caramel apple. :D

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I strongly recommend looking into Klipper Firmware (for this and other reasons).
After reading your post a few earlier, I started watching videos about it, what it does, how to install, etc.

A lot of people are loving what it does for them, but the process of getting it all setup is (currently) outside of my level of patience and commitment. ;)

I'll be better off learning to be more patient with longer prints... hopefully to be more like @The Hat

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I went against my better judgment and printed the Benchy as a test run on several of my printers, (Tried) because no matter how bad or good it prints, the Benchy doesn’t reflect how well/poor my printers are printing, I find these test prints a total waste of Feckin time.

I used Ultimaker 4.1 for the slicer, I usually never use this software because it has to many bells and whistles for my liking, I prefer to use the Creality created slicer (CURA clone) that came with the CR-10s and the software from Kingroon KP3 printer too.
ultiimaker.JPG I used this for each print..

I tried to copy the same setting that @ninj used but ran into some issues on two of my printers, the older CR-10 halted after 20 minutes with a thermal heat over run, so I couldn’t use that and with the KP3, I was forced to use support everywhere because there was no way of turning it off for that printer.

The CR-10s went well till the Benchy came unstuck and I had to start again, so half way through I switched to black filament to finish, no difference.

It took 2 hours 25 minutes to complete and was full of strings and looked acceptable with no distortion on the curves or chimney, and it ran at 20 mm/s.

Benchy3.jpg Benchy4.jpg
The KP3 took 5 hours and 15 minutes to complete, probably because it had to print the support also, I didn’t do anything to the print other than pull off the support, and it ran at 25 mm/s.
Benchy1.jpg KP3 print.. click to enlarge all..
P.S. A lot of my prints usually end up with stringing, and I just clean it off after the print is finished, no big deal..

Here are the two together..
Benchy2.jpg

If you had a 3D printer you could make assorted caramels. Coffee flavoured for instance.
I stayed away from using these favoured filaments so as not to upset @stratman..

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the Benchy doesn’t reflect how well/poor my printers are printing
In other words, it's not the wand, it's the wizard. :lol::hugs

PS I'm good with recycling. The box my McDonalds fish sandwich came in was 37% recycled garbage. I'm recycling all of it, though some will have to wait till tomorrow to find its way to the appropriate receptacle.

Latest posts