Cool 3D Printer Filament Color Changer

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
There are LOTS of different solutions to changing the color of filaments, but this one really is interesting!

(first 5 mins of video)

... and more details here:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That’s very interesting and a novel way to swap colour filament, but I don’t reckon it’s as cool as manually replacing the filament yourself, and I reckon it would take a lot of testing and frigging about with software codes just to get the colour you want.

The way I do it is to pause the printer and remove one colour filament and replace it with the next colour and then press resume, and the colour change is all most instant, it’s a more hands on approach and I reckon more precise, in my opinion..

Interesting enough, I will be doing a 3 colour sign in the next week or so for someone and I will post the finish sign here when I’m finished, but it will mean disrupting the progress of my lamp standard which is taking shape nicely..

Question:- When you purchase this rig, just how many times do you think it will get used, what I’m say is all the cost worth it..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I reckon it would take a lot of testing and frigging about with software codes just to get the colour you want.
Yeah, that's a great point! In fact, with all these systems, trying to get all the colors, etc. into the G-code is still pretty complicated... especially if the color is changing multiple times for EACH LAYER!

Question:- When you purchase this rig, just how many times do you think it will get used, what I’m say is all the cost worth it..
Yup, I was totally wondering the same thing. For me: not often at all. I was also wondering how much extra time that system adds to a print. I'm sure it's probably exponentially longer with every layer swapping colors and having to go through that color change cycle to have the printer head hit buttons, retract filament multiple times, insert new filament, wait for it to melt, etc. I can't even imagine.