Converting Brother HL2130 to wireless

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
a good dram of Whisky and an early night for you
You betcha. Had a bacon with tomato sammich earlier. It's great to be alive. :thumbsup

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
The short version of this post that I would try first:

The Hat is right - you do deserve a medal, if not actually a knighthood. Thank you for your detailed reply which I have copied and put in my useful items folder.

Alas, I have a problem that I am at the moment unable to solve. My old airport Express is not compatible with my Mac operating system. I have spent the last two hours following workarounds on the internet and finally got a brilliant post that explained how you set up a network using the serial number printed on the device. Unfortunately, it won't boot up the network due to a security system on my router. I've opened the router webpage as instructed but am unable to find the system that switches off the security. I might have another go later.

Edit:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My old airport Express is not compatible with my Mac operating system.
Googled the compatibility issue and found this explanation and workarounds:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8366905

Which Airport Express model do you have? What Mac operating system do you use? The OS'es for all your devices?

Unfortunately, it won't boot up the network due to a security system on my router. I've opened the router webpage as instructed but am unable to find the system that switches off the security.
I do not understand. What "router" are you writing about - the Vodaphone or the Airport Express? What "security" are you writing about?

Please post the link to the web site you are using to figure things out so I can try to understand better.

You should not have to touch the Vodaphone wireless router modem. The Airport Express is going to be used separately as its own wireless network just for the printer. The end result should be two wireless routers - the Vodaphone and the Airport Express -each with their own separate and distinct SSID's and passwords, neither communicating with the other.

Maybe you need to reset the Airport Express back to factory default and then set it up as if new out of the box. :idunno

In the end, if your Airport Express is "too old" to communicate with newer Apple devices then you are back to the choices in my initial post in this thread.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model

flyboy

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-3750
For what it's worth.......

Back when the earth was still cooling, ;) my company gave me a cellphone. It was very convenient but I noticed that my hand and ear would get hot if I used it for more than a minute. As a pro pilot I knew that the antenna was putting out thermal energy so I knew I was nuking myself, but I limited the calls to quick ones to dispatch. Could have been a problem with the antenna being damaged and thus putting out too much power or maybe just me being a wimp. ;)

Then I was an early wifi adopter and had the modem on my desk, At some point I noticed that when the modem was xmitting I would get tired/drowsy/crankier (than usual LOL) all the time. Turning it off cured it and at some point I realized there was a direct cause and effect going on so I ditched the wifi. Now I have my house completely wired, no bluetooth, cordless phones etc.. We have a small cheap cell but only turn it on when we need it.

One of the very first thing you learn as a pro pilot is that you always turn off the radar on the ground and if you're taking off into bad weather it is the last thing on the pre-takeoff checklist because back when they built the first RADAR sets during WW2 the ground crew who tell the crews where to taxi/park etc noticed they could feel a hot/tingling sensation in their 'musintouchit' area when the radar was turned on so the lesson was turn off the radar on the ground lest you fry the unsuspecting ground crews...... numies. Nowadays aircraft have a "squat switch" in the landing gear that automatically turns off the radar when the aircraft settles on to the wheels on landing. I have an "Acoustimeter' to measure the EMF around the house and a metal screen 'top Hat' over the 'Smart' meter to ground out about 75% of the signal.

There is lots of science to back up what I am saying and apparently what it does is to interfere with the uptake of oxygen to the cells.You can see that the blood cells clump together when you look at them under a darkfield microscope.

Cellphones have been linked to cancer in the area of the ear. (basically brain cancer) Every once in a while there is some real estate agent etc. who lives on his phone who gets serious nasty brain cancer. John McCain was apparently on his cellphone constantly before he got and died of cancer in the area of the ear/brain.

There have been cancer clusters found around cellphone towers. Apparently 5G kills birds/insects etc anywhere near the tower. Trees grow only on the side opposite the towers

Microwave ovens cook food by showering them with direct and reflected radio waves. There was some science many years ago by a physicist in Switzerland who had regular dinner parties with his friends and cooked some of their food with microwave and the rest got normally cooked food. Then he took their blood samples 1/2 hour after eating. The ones who had eaten the nuked food had blood markers that are considered the precursers to cancer. Russia banned microwaves. They may be allowing them now. Not sure.

I consider that I am the canary in the coal mine, probably from being around so many xmitters in the aircraft. I used to fly many hours in one aircraft had a 360 radar for detecting icebergs in support of the oil drilling rigs around the area where the Titanic went down. Also wearing noise cancelling headsets and operating the normal radios daily added to the mix. I have read a couple of books on others who have figured out how to deal with this.

Anyways I am now somewhat EMF sensitive but not as bad as some. Some PPL have to move out into the country totally away from any transmitters.

I am mentioning this as a word to others who may be in the same boat and not realize it. I find that wired is so much faster, more secure, less fuss and no worries about some teenager having fun hacking my system. It's a bit of work and some gear nowadays is only available wireless in which case I do without. Wired telephones are hardest to find as we like using a headset. Once in awhile I find someone else who is another CITCM.

There is some science, as well as a webinar on 5G and some find it interesting that 5G was rolled out in PRC first in Wuhan. This is significant because aside from Wuhan being one of the worst places in PRC for air pollution (which is really saying something) and the locals were holding big protests last fall, as the government was building some sort of huge incinerator there, but added to that, the fact that 5G interferes with the uptake of oxygen in the cells which is curiously the same as what Covid does, makes for a perfect storm.

Apparently 5G is banned in Israel where it was invented and in Brussels where the EU is based.

Just sayin....

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
feel a hot/tingling sensation in their 'musintouchit' area when the radar was turned on
Know where to get radar, cheap? I'm asking for a friend. ;)

Love to have an all-wired home but too expensive.

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you, Flyboy, fore taking the trouble with this post. You are talking to the right person and, if our moderators do not mind, bearing in mind that it is rather off the subject of printers, I will answer briefly;

Regrettably, we are forced to have a wi fi modem and house phone because this is all our phone company can now supply and it, along with our computers, is our way of keeping in touch with the world and, in particular, our families (we live in Spain - they in the UK). We own four mobile phones (you call them cell phones in the US): two UK and two Spanish. We use them so rarely that the company is forever telling us to top up or send a message of they will change our number. No brain-burning with us. Yes, we have wi fi in the house but not 5G an do not anticipate subscribing to it. Since our computers and printer are all connected by wi fi, we are, as you say, subject to what ever dangers that brings.

However, we lived in Cornwall, UK, for nearly 40 years and brought our family up there. There is no reason why you would know this, but Cornwall has the highest level of natural Radon gas in Europe - due to its granitic formation. We sought advice, obtained a Radon meter, measured the levels and were advised that if we did not fit double glazing, we would be OK. The alternative was to have a sump built under the house (Radon is heavier than air). All of us are fit as fleas, so whether Radon did affect us or not, we have shown no signs (I'm 80 next year and cycle two hours a day).

As an ex pilot (I'm an ex- aircraft engineer), you will know about the dangers of radiation from space and the sun, and that the higher one goes, the less protection there is. We regularly fly to and from Spain to the UK and so for over an hour per flight are high enough at 38 000 feet to lose some of the protection from that radiation. True, we are in an aluminium tube, but the jury is still out on how much protection that provides. And, in any case, we have the problem of breathing in all those nasty aviation chemicals (you will know of the excellent website helping pilots to fight this problem).

It is a fact of modern-day life that we are surrounded by all sorts of radiation and are subject to horrendous levels of chemicals and pollution. I don't know where we draw the line, but as a family, we do our best.

As a final note, my Brother printer is still, and will remain, connected via USB.

I have passed your excellent and thoughtful post to my wife. If you would like to continue this conversation privately, I would be delighted to engage with you. If the moderators will allow, my email address is xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thanks, Mods!

EDIT:- No Emails on show, use your PM for privacy, Moderator.. Sorry

Latest posts