confusion about pigment ink on canon MP620

ladybiker711

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,
I had some ink left from a not very successful HP project.
Now I have a Canon MP 620 and just managed to do my first refills (I think with the german method?)...hopefully without a hitch.
I haven't refilled the smaller black cartridge yet since it isn't empty. I am now second-guessing whether I understood the instructions though.
Is the larger black cartridge the one that gets the dye ink and the smaller the pigment? Please tell me I did right by putting the dye in the larger one :eek:
My kit does not contain a pigment black so I will need to order that soon.
Thanks!

ladybiker711

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Oh shoot....I think I found the answer further down the forum. I believe I screwed up :(

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, you got it backwards, the large black cartridge is for pigment black ink and all the smaller cartridges, including black, are for dye ink.

The only time the smaller black cartridge is used is when you tell the printer that you are printing on any kind of photo paper so until you do that, it will last a very long time.

You should do a nozzle check to see if all your pigment black nozzles are working. Sometimes, mixing pigment and dye inks can cause a problem where some of the nozzles won't work.

I would recommend that you do a reverse refill and suck as much of the dye ink out of the reservoir as possible and discard it and then refill with pigment ink and see if all the nozzles are firing. If they are, then you can continue to use the cartridge.

BTW, if you refill through a hole near the bottom of the sponge side of the cartridge, then that is the German method. If you refill through a hole in the top of the reservoir, that is the traditional method.

ladybiker711

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks. I refilled by making a hole on the sponge side. And I will go ahead and buy a replacement cartridge at Walmart until I can get a pigment black refill.
Duh...I should have known that PG on the cartridge meant pigment. I am easily confused...

(edited to add)...the nozzle check is fine.
Can I damage the printer itself if I use as is until I get pigment ink?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
No, you will not damage the printer or the print head by using dye ink instead of pigment, but don't try it the other way around, pigment ink can permanently clog dye ink nozzles.