Compatible cartridge not recognised

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
Hi all, have had help here before and luckily have had no problems for a while but now........
I have a Canon MX726 and have used generic cartridges for this and other Canons with little problems but this one has me stumped. Got the usual message "this tank is not recognised" etc, took out the cartridge, turned it off and on, replaced cartridge but still nfg.
I put the supposedly faulty cartridge in another colour slot and it lit up but when I tried another colour in the slot, zilch.
Any clues??

Update: Dunno why but for no reason I left the top up for a while and closed it and buggar me, off it goes on its stupid little way. I reckon all printers are female.....I can't figure ,em out

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Got the usual message "this tank is not recognised" etc,
1) "Usual message" - What does "usual" mean? You should not be getting this message. It should be rare if at all. A different brand of cartridge may be in order to avoid this issue.

2) "etc" - Huh? Not helpful. The devil is in the details often.

Glad to hear the issue has resolved for now. Possibly the printer reset and then recognized the cartridge. The root cause of the issue cannot be surmised based on your information, but the first thing to try is a new cartridge from a different manufacturer/seller/brand to prevent the "usual" from reoccurring.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It is not clear to me if the MX726 is OK again?

I have also experienced cartridges not recognised. Most often the reason is that the cartridge is not properly locked in place. This might be caused by a loose locking tab on the cartridge. Gently bending it a bit outwards to make it a bit tighter often helps. Another more rare cause of a cartridge not recognised is dirty chip contacts. They can be cleaned with a Q-tip wetted with isopropyl alcohol or an electronics cleaner. More rare is dirty chip contact springs in the printhead carriage, They can be cleaned in the same way as the contacts on the chip, The chip could also be defective. This is very rare.

Here is a photo of the printhead carriage of an iP7250 which uses the same family of cartridges as your printer:

iP7250 Chip contact springs.jpg

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
As @PeterBJ explains this occurs regularly with my PRO-9500II and cleaning of the printhead contacts is the first thing I do.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@palombian and @PeterBJ --

What are you guys doing with your printers?!? Playing footie with them?