Colour leak. Was: R2000 - how to purge gloss optimiser?

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Is there a way of purging GO or I should swap the cartridge with i.e. blue and print blue pages?

I'm trying to solve intermittent problem with photo black getting into orange. Cartridge order is like here:
carts.jpg

and I think GO might be involved as well - I saw pale dots on check pattern.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please post a nozzle check showing the problems you have. The chips would prevent you to swap cartridges into wrong locations.

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
I was gathering evidence :) Fro the top:
- pattern after night rest
- solid orange page folded over
- second check
- solid orange page folded over
- third check

Please notice orange quality improvement and black leaking into orange and blue.
epson_R2000_colour_leak.jpg
Full-res image on external server

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Which type of cartridges are you using for these test prints ? The same OEM ones as in the image by K Cooper above ?

You are printing a full page orange - which size ? Can you post that orange image file please ?
Yes, there is apparently a lightness gradient from top to bottom. Do you get the same effect if you just print
a smaller vertical bar from top to bottom of this page size ?

There are a few nozzles missing here and there but that is not the current problem, I don't see any irregularities in the orange nozzle check, if there are any please crop and magnify.

Hint - you can attach image files here up to 5MB, you don't need to use an external host.

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
Photo of the orange cartridge:
r2000_orange_cartridge.jpg
I'm surprised: there is black tint in the out channel. I've never seen it before. Back pressure problem? I have external waste tank installed and it seems to work well.
The printed pages were A4, 1440x1440 dpi
The gaps are a long standing problem I'm working on (5 on blue and 1 on magenta)
Top and bottom of orange and top of blue shows black tint:
r2000_pattern_zoom.jpg

I'm printing away orange pages to flush the out channel

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
After automatic cleaning cycle and 3 A4 pages the orange colour seems to be stable. More info on Monday.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
So you are doing refill; it appears to me that the ventilation of the orange cartridge is somehow impeded, I could image that it is a kind of 'breathing', there is some underpressure left after a print is finished, and this underpressure is pulling back up black ink mix from the cleaning unit in the idling position, or do you have any black ink leaking into the bottom of the printhead carriage which may find its way to the orange channel ?
Do you have another cartridge, as well a regular 3rd party one to do some similar test ?
Blocked nozzles - a rather effective cleaning mode is shown in this video, there are more similar ones to be found

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IszUNL7znds

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
I have another set of cartridges, non-OEM but almost brand new. Yes, I observed black leaking down, so problem with vent on orange could suck the black ink up. Thank you very much again!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are a few different construction types of cartridges on the market, some - most have one mesh wire filter in the ink channel before the outlet and typically a spring loaded valve, I have seen another one without that valve, that one was dripping as soon I opened the vent hole, and it appears to me that yours have a 2nd filter as well - on the left side - in the air channel , other ones just have a labyrinth bringing the air to the bottom of the cart. Could it be that this air filter got into contact with ink which then dried out partially and restricting now the air flow ?
If you have ink in the bottom of the printhead carriage you should find the origin, that range should be pretty clean and dry overall. Wipe it out and watch what happens with the next replacement actions.

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
I made full set swap to new cartridges and I got plenty of leaks + stains on paper. So I started to do gradual swap to the old set. In the meantime I cleaned the orange cartridge with tap water (almost DI in my area), pharmacist's solvent + ammonia and at the very end pharmacis't solvent (sucking in fluids through the vent). I ended up with the old set of cartridges. The new ones leaks on probably 2-3 colours 8-/ Anyway the old orange cartridge vent was blocked, so for now the problem seems to be solved. I'll keep watching the orange colour

Ink Stained Fingers, thank you very much! You solved another serious problem with my R2000! :-D