ColorMunkie Smile brightness calibration?

Fish323

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290 Canon Pro 10s
Can I use the Smile to calibrate the brightness or just the colours?
Thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Smile does not automatically adjust the Brightness. You manually do that.

However, you can use the Smile indirectly to dial in Brightness.

https://www.xrite.com/service-support/how_to_use_colormunki_smile

From a different link:

Limitations

All that simplicity comes at the cost of customization options available in higher-end models like the ColorMunki Display. Want to set your own white point? Sorry. Want to customize your gamma? Not going to happen. Looking for something with ambient light correction? Not at this price point
https://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/...-colormunki-smile-monitor-calibration-system/

Fish323

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290 Canon Pro 10s

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What devices do you want to calibrate? Be specific.

Fish323

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290 Canon Pro 10s
What devices do you want to calibrate? Be specific.
I have a dell XPS 13. I want to buy an external monitor and calibrate it for printing on a Canon Pro 10s.
Thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
have a dell XPS 13. I want to buy an external monitor and calibrate it
There are variables concerning the calibration of your laptop's own screen let alone calibrating a unidentified secondary external monitor that I do not have answers for you. It all matters, such as what specific video GPU you have (chip on the motherboard or CPU or if have discrete card) and monitors not being all alike calibration-wise, and reason why I asked for specifics.

I don't want to give to advice that may not apply to your set up. Here are some issues that someone had calibrating their XPS13.

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/inconsistent-calibration-results-dell-xps-13-spyder-5/

Unless someone on this forum has calibration experience with your Dell XPS 13 and any peculiarities you might experience calibrating an external monitor, then your best bet is to go to the Dell forum and ask your questions in the XPS 13 thread.

You can do a manual calibration of the screen on your laptop via Windows 10 app. It is a crude method compared to a colorimeter.

Last edited:

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
Go for a external monitor with hardware calibration and you are the right way. With a Color Checker Display Pro you can do the calibration and profiling of your monitor. Check witch device works best with your new monitor at the manufacturers site.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
FYI

X-Rite has sold off a portion of their calibration devices to a company called Calibrite. For now, the devices are merely rebadged as is the software with primarily cosmetic changes. The software works with both appropriate X-Rite and Calibrite branded devices. All X-Rite devices under warranty will be recognized and serviced by Calibrite. If you can find an X-Rite branded model you like then it may be a few dollars less than the same Calibrite model

https://calibrite.com/us/?noredirect=en-US

cdx54

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
FYI

X-Rite has sold off a portion of their calibration devices to a company called Calibrite. For now, the devices are merely rebadged as is the software with primarily cosmetic changes. The software works with both appropriate X-Rite and Calibrite branded devices. All X-Rite devices under warranty will be recognized and serviced by Calibrite. If you can find an X-Rite branded model you like then it may be a few dollars less than the same Calibrite model

https://calibrite.com/us/?noredirect=en-US

Thanks for the information. I bought the x-Rite i1 Studio a couple of years ago, and it works great, even bringing my oldest wide format printer up to modern standards of color rendering. It's an amazing device and software combo.

gscotten

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, Canon MX922
Can I use the Smile to calibrate the brightness or just the colours?
Thanks
If you use DisplayCAL instead of the ColorMunki software, you can adjust the brightness as well as the colors with the Smile.