Colorless HP-02 Carts/Photosmart D7460

jgpa

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just moved to HP after my wonderful S800 died, what a joy that was refilling.

I bought some colorless tanks with auto-resetting chips and the printer absolutely refuses to recognize them, I can't do a blessed thing with these.

Can someone tell me if I can get refillable tanks for the printer, and where? Colorless is very much preferred.

I've only seen two colorless types in my searches (a type being defined as the label on the cart). Many sites offer the ones I bough and specifically mention being compatible with my printer but no joy. I wonder if it would be a waste of time getting the 'other type'. I wouldn't be surprised if it used the same chip.

Thanks.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Did you by any chance download and install the printer driver from HP website recently? If you didn't good! Don't.

When did you purchase the printer? Did you use the driver from the CD included with the printer? And, when did you purchase the Auto reset cartridges for it?

The reason I am asking, is....HP releases new firmware updates now and then, and it disables some remanufactured, refilled, or compatible cartridges, this would include your Auto reset cartridges. The manufacturers of these, will have to re-engineer the chips again to work with the new firmware release. That is why we recommend, not updating printer drivers off the Printer manufacturers websites.

jgpa

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hmmm, I am trying to remember... I definitely did download from HP because the CD install was hanging and not running, but I think that was on some other PC's on the network, the main machine I think, but can't be certain, was from the CD.

The firmware is listed as PRxxFN0723AR. The printer was bought about a month ago and the tanks immediately after.

Is any of the HP software on the PC needed in the resetting fxn of the tanks?

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This printer was released June 22 2007, if those auto reset cartridges were manufactured before this, then they will not work because HP updated their firmware after that date as well. What area of the globe do you reside, I will try and recommend a reputable company that can help.

jgpa

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm in NE US. Thx for all the interest in this.

Think a retro firmware can be found somewhere? Maybe I can catch a version prior to the chip design. I searched earlier today and couldn't find any sites.

HP only lists a single driver set, Aug 2007, and no firmwares specifically.

Odd thing is that the OEM tanks are working fine after refilling, my playing around with these replacement ones caused the levels to reset to full (after being warned they were empty and a prior warning of being low). I thought these OEM tanks didn't reset and you were faced with perpetual 'empty' readings and if actually allowed to get empty the printer would permanently lock up with the chip in place.

Thanks again.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Also, I found this in another forum, maybe give it a try, this fella had the same problem as you, has the same printer, and used the auto- reset chips.

The auto-reset chips on these particular cartridges claim to work like
brand new HP ones by going from full to empty on the meter as you use
them. When they indicate empty, you are supposed to pull them out,
refill them, put them back in, power off (probably by pulling plug)
and powering on again to reset.

jgpa

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
tigerwan said:
...you are supposed to pull them out,
refill them, put them back in, power off (probably by pulling plug)
and powering on again to reset.
Yeah, I had seen that text as well, I forget where. I have tried all sorts of resetting schemes and not a one works. I am very strongly leaning that HP had installed a thwart to screw refillers.

As for the links, alotofthings shows clear tanks as well as dark ones. I emailed asking about the clear as they only list a few printers but one never knows...Problem is that they tell you not to write to the support address w/out order info as they will ignore all emails without order info. They tell you to email another address if you have info queries. Problem is, and you can probably guess this by now, they list the same address as the info one.

I have to email atlantic ink about the refillability and transparency of the tanks.

I've had a thought while going through all this, I was setting up a return of the non-resetting tanks. Do you know exactly how the resetting process of the OEM chips works? Can one go on using the tanks over and over? Like I said, while playing here with this stuff I got the OEM tanks I had refilled to reset up and show as full. I was thinking of just keeping the non-working tanks. They were cheap ($30 and a bit) for all of them. If I can use the OEM chips over and over I can just pick them off the OEM tanks and glue them onto the clear tanks I have. Does this sound workable? The problem is the OEM chips of course. The software shows them good for another 2+ years.