Color management in Epson printers

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to control color and set up a printer to give reliable true colors for photograph's? I don't have a good grasp of exactly what to do to achieve this so I would like any and all suggestions by the more experienced among the members on this task!
My Epson 1400 was doing a very consistent job of printing out mostly excellent photographs until I got the Epson shut down notice and had to go to them for a restart and since then the prints just have not been the same.
I have another 1400 in the box yet that I will set up and hope that it will do as well as the first one.
I intend to use the old one to see what can be done with adjusting the color on it. I'm looking at it as a learning opportunity!
Some information I've seen online talks about different software programs to give one a better set of controls over the end product but I can't seem to find anything that I can wrap my head around. I confess, It just confuses me.
Is there a simple method I can use that I have overlooked? I know many of you in here have been there, done that so I appeal to you, what is the answer? Thanks in advance for any and all help! Happy Printing, Outoftheinkwell! Oh! P.S. When setting up a new 1400, should I first delete all the old Epson programs and start fresh? And as I remember the CD disk is only for computers up to Windows XP Pro and we now have Windows 7 pro so I guess I need to download all software from the Epson site and I'm not sure they don't include software I'd rather avoid since I plan to go with a new CIS system!

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Have you changed the inkjet cartridges on the printer in question before got the shut down notice? If you have and if you have used compatible/remanufactured cartridges, it might be a case of poor quality ink cartridges.

It's always better to go for a fresh start, so you'd better uninstall all the printer software before setting up the new printer. I don't know if that matters though.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Once you want to control color properly, then you will need to have your monitor calibrated, a set of ICC profiles that matches the INK and PAPER specific combination, photo-editing software that uses color management in both the viewing and print level. And the commitment to learn how to use it. Even if you used Epson ink and Paper, then your monitor will not likely match the print unless it is a professional level monitor that leaves teh factory precalibrated. So it requires a commitment on your part...from the beginning to end.
The good thing is that on the 1400, you can omit the portion of the software handling printing with color management but viewing still requires color management and a calibrated and properly adjusted monitor.
Also, if you had been using the option in the print driver to enhance your photos, then you will need to stop using that if you want consitentency and control.

BTW, it is very unlikely Epson has done any physical changes to your printer hardware .e.g firmware that would change color output. It is more likely that the changes occurred in the software settings in the print driver and you'll need to look over every aspect carefully and know what it is doing. I am assuming that you had retained the use of the same identical inks prior and subsequent to your event.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the excellent advice and information. I have used the same( Claria/type) inks exclusively and have had really good results until I used the same ink in a cartridge in a remanufactured OEM cartridge, now the prints are just off from what they were and noticible but not terrible. Today or soon I'm going to install refillable dampers with a RATF chip and will see how that goes and if I don't get the level of print I want I will be installing a second 1400 printer I have "still in the box". I have a cis set up with a RATF chip and tubing/bottles ready for that day! I bought two factory remanufactured printers when they we're being sold at $149.00 each. If I install the new printer I will first delete all Epson software and reinstall that first. I confess that I find most tutorials about color management and calibrating over my head and I will just ask you all to share any good tutorial sources that are aimed at the beginner level printer person. Something like "color management for dummies perhaps?" If no such source exists then I guess I will just stumble along as I have because as much as I love to print color photographs at my age,(77), I just don't have the desire to go back to school. For now my ink of choice is a good Claria/type, 6 ink printer printed on Kirkland Professional glossy inkjet paper using CIS systems and I use the same basic system on both running printers, the 1400 and the Artisian 725. Thanks for the help guys and gals, I do appreciate it. Happy Printing....OutOFtheinkwell!