Clogged or not ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm going to try to think this through as I type, a stream of thought. Others may offer clearer insights.

You wrote nozzle checks are poor the first time after Windex treatment but appear OK on the second try. This sounds like ink needs time to flow either out of problematic cartridge or around some obstruction in the print head.

The image you posted shows a variable intensity darker blue line spaced at consistent intervals. This may be due to a print head malfunction, unless the dark blue is the proper color and the rest is an improper light colored blue, demonstrating a tremendous clog in the print head except for one thin layer of nozzles. Not likely, since you would probably see areas of no ink. Also, is is doubtful this artifact is caused by an issue with the cartridge since the cartridge would either have to alternately give more or less ink fairly consistently throughout the printing, albeit there might , MIGHT be enough time for ink to flow enough to give the dark band as the print head carriage returns from one side to the other to begin printing again in as when printing uni-directionally (like a typewriter). I believe your printer prints bi-directionally, printing both left to right and right to left in order to speed up printing jobs, so this is probably not a cartridge issue. Plus, I would expect to see the dark blue line immediately if the printer had been idle before starting the print job.

BUT, the darker, evenly spaced blue line varies in intensity and improves as printing proceeds, even appearing to vanish, or nearly disappear, a couple of times, but returning nonetheless. You don't say which end of this image came out of the printer first, my assumption may be the opposite of the situation. Regardless, this seems to point to an intermittent ink flow issue within the print head.

Could this be a paper feed problem or a print head carriage movement issue? Doubtful since all the colors would show this consistent alternating dark banding pattern, which you have not commented on so far.

I take it that the image you posted was from a plain paper print? If so, does this occur with photo paper set to the appropriate photo paper type (ie not plain paper setting)?

If you want, you could soak the print head in Windex, or some other cleaning fluid such as those suggested by Pharmacist on the forum, over night. Make sure the level of fluid is above the inlet screens on the print head. You could try running tap water over the print head inlet screens (and bottom ejection ports) until no colors flush from the bottom or are seen pooling on the top of the inlet screens. Make sure to dry out the print head thoroughly before inserting it back into the printer. If you have hard water - lots of minerals in the water - you can do a final rinse with distilled water. Another method to flush a print head would be to use tubing or a cut-away syringe that fits over the inlet screens and flush with water. I'm sure there are other methods, but you hopefully get the picture.

Using any substance on the print head risks issues with electrical contacts, soldering, adhesives, etc. You might damage the print head. I have not ruined a print head using these methods, but then again, I did not fix my problem either. So, it might help, it might not, or it might make things worse. No sweat, eh? ;)

Please follow the steps outlined in my last post so we can better understand what and where your issue is.

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am not home now butfew things to notice...
1. this happens at normal print quality only
2.It also happens in black, magenta appears to be ok... i think
3. Not 100% sure but i have noticed this problem before any refill with original carts...
4.I will buy an original cartridge to check if problem still occurs.. 12 euros
5.Also after printing anything even this blue nozzle is 99% ok! Problem appears randomly mostly after a clean...
6.Could i have caused problem to cartridge tighting top hole, german hole and bottom for storage after refill ?(Had an @work cartr)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Parhs:

Just noticed you are posting on two different threads for the same issue. This makes more work for all of us and something helpful could be missed. Please pick one thread, clearly link to the other thread - repeating any pertinent data in a summation, and keep the discussion on one thread.

This seems a print head issue, possibly an issue with something else inside the printer but not the cartridges. I have had a similar issue where plain paper and nozzle checks were not correct but printing in high quality on CD disks were OK, though my issue was constant and not intermittent as you've stated. The issue eventually worsened despite whatever I tried to fix it. I ended up getting a new print head and the issue was resolved. I think you may be headed that direction. Your newest post information gives a glimmer of hope that the problems can be resolved otherwise. Except for purchasing new cartridges, the other measures discussed shouldn't cost you much but time and effort, so it's up to you how you want to proceed.

Have you tried cleaning with isopropyl alcohol the electrical contacts of the print head and the print head carriage? An irregular contact might cause printing malfunctions. Ink starvation or poor electrical contact probably would result in no ink being squirted onto the paper, though. Cleaning the contacts probably won't work, but it shouldn't hurt.

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Good news are...
I tried many things and then i started to have ink starvation issues... with blue...When i noticed that,I immediatly cancled the print and printed nozzle check only...

I bought a OEM 521 blue then same problem with starvation.. Did a head cleaning and everything was fine...
Nozzle check is 99,5% perfect for blue.. i think it is geting better...

So had i screwed the cartridge somehow??
I have left it without ink for a week and i used an @WORK cart and then refilled the original sealed it and after 2 weeks i think when @WORK ran out , i put it again...At then begining i had no problems with blue....

So purging is the only way to revive it?
UPDATE
Last nozzle check is 100% perfect!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Parhs said:
UPDATE
Last nozzle check is 100% perfect!
Congratulations! Let's hope this ends your problem.

You can try purging the old OEM and trying again. This still might be a print head issue since a NEW OEM cartridge still showed the problem initially. (It was a brand NEW OEM "blue" ink cartridge, right?)

Lastly, to be clear, so we are all thinking of the same thing... what do you mean specifically by "ink starvation"?

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I mean that when printing something blue for example i had whites somehow..
Now nozzle is ok now even after a cleaning.It is an original CANON.. cartridge..
I purged the old one .Now can i use the german method to refill ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
We're on the same page. Ink starvation causes no ink to be printed from the nozzles, so if the paper used is white then the lack of ink will be demonstrated by a white area on the paper.

By all means try the German method with your newly purged cartridge.

And it's still great to hear you're back to printing properly. Good job!

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well after 5 months everything is ok although a little problem still ocurs with blue. However it is hardly visible. At middle blue-cyan there is a constant problem.. However print quality is ok!

Nozzle check

I am wondering whether extented test is possible somehow..