Clog Prevention

RLamparter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5420
After refilling the CLI-8 cartridges for my MX650 10-11 times in the past 4.5 years, the black pigment ink clogged and I could not get it to work any more. In the end I needed a printer so I bought an MP5420 that takes the CLI-250/251 cartridges.

I'll be refilling using Precision colors inks and cartridges. Printing is sporadic and I may go two weeks without needing to print although I frequently turn it on to use the scanner. What do you do to prevent clogging with refilled cartridges?

I had read a post somewhere by one of the refilling gurus / forum angels that suggested squirting some window cleaner on the black pigment pad inside the printer whenever the pigment cartridge was refilled to help cleanse the pad and the suction tubing. Sounds reasonable, but I'm open to other advice, including when to purge the entire cartridge (and how to do that).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Two weeks is nowhere near long enough to clog up your print head, so if you want to you can just run a nozzle check every week just to be sure that everything is still working A ok.
Nozzle check.PNG