CLI42-Clumped Ink Lumps in Non-Sponge Side

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Hello. I need to replace a set of (refillable) cartridges about every 4 to six months. I have two sets of cartridges, and practice to refill the two sets when the second set is empty. That means that the first empty set sits empty for 4-6 months. I do keep the empty set in a freezer bag with a wet towel. In that first empty set the Magenta cartridge, probably very low at the time of it's replacement, now has bits of lumped dried ink bits in the non-sponge side. Using a bit of fresh ink does loosen the bits from the sides of the cartridge, but they don't dissolve completely.

The question is, will the small bits eventually clog the path to the sponge, or should I not risk that and flush the cartridge now.

I feel comfortable with the flushing process. I did two sets in 2017, and have had trouble-free use since then. The flushing is just a long process, but I take my time soaking, flushing, and the drying.

BTW, when I flushed the cartridges in 2017 I used, very successfully, the "original" version of Windex , in other words with the smelly Ammonia, NOT the de-odorized Ammonia (D-Ammonia). Most importantly, I had no trouble flushing the Yellow cartridge, Windex, then with "water", and let the cartridge dry for a month. For the drying process I fold a paper towel length ways very tights, the let a rubber band hold one end of the roll to the cartridge outlet. Doing this when wet causes the water to wick out and set up that wicking path until you are sure the sponge is dry. Setting up the wicking path is an important mechanical part of this drying process, and don't spoil that contact by removing the paper towel until the drying is complete.

Anyway, a response to my question will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yes, flush. Warm water, not hot, will suffice. Using a syringe to push inwater, or, a bit of plastic tubing attached to the ink outlet port and then connected to the faucet can do the job. No soaking needed. Done in a minute or two except for the drying process before refilling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hello. I need to replace a set of (refillable) cartridges about every 4 to six months. I have two sets of cartridges, and practice to refill the two sets when the second set is empty. That means that the first empty set sits empty for 4-6 months. I do keep the empty set in a freezer bag with a wet towel
You need to start again and try to get a better refill procedure going, because clearly your current one isn’t working to well.

Use only OEM carts and refill the empty ones as soon as possible, next day would be preferable, don’t leave them empty for long periods, and refill just as the recover becomes empty, ( At Yellow warning) Don’t wait..

There is no for bags or anything else, just leave the refilled carts to sit on a shelf out of the sunlight until you’re ready to use them, lastly reset the chip before refilling..

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
UUUhhh... that sounds good. I mean the flushing with water. Thanks. I'll report back.

But I'll take the advice of refilling the cartridge each time when I have replaced one. That will also have the advantage that the print head inlets are not open, and exposed to drying, while I refill a set. Also, Thanks.

Hey, and a big thanks for the speed of reply, awesome.

Last edited: