CLI/PGI carts with new Canon iP4700 : Full or starter carts ?

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just got a new Canon PIXMA iP4700 and loooking at the CLI and PGI cart set, I'm wondering if they're "partial-capacity" starter ink carts or regular, "full-capacity" carts. As far as I can tell the reservoirs are full up and the carts don't appear to be physically smaller. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say they're regular sized, full-capacity CLI-221 and PGI-220 cartridges.

Can other owners of the iP4700 confirm if these "come-with" cartridges are identical in capacity to Canon replacement carts ?

Thank you very much!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Unlike some other printer manufacturers, Canon has never provided starter carts with their printers.

If you are planning to refill your cartridges, these are the best ones, don't be tempted to buy compatibles.

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Unlike some other printer manufacturers, Canon has never provided starter carts with their printers.

If you are planning to refill your cartridges, these are the best ones, don't be tempted to buy compatibles.
Now, let's not get into that old argument about compatible carts and ink. This isn't my first rodeo in the inkjet world - I've used Canon and Epson printers for decades, and I know that a good, high-quality compatible cart and ink is an affordable alternative to the highway robbery the printer makers carry out by selling people their WAY-WAY-WAY overpriced OEM carts and inks. Frankly, they ought to be shot for it - or at least harshly spanked, repeatedly. Capitalism, my fanny - I'm not a rich man, so I buy according to BOTH quality AND price.

Having delivered my screed on compatibles, I plan to refill these Canon OEMs at least 4 to 6 times per cart with Hobbicolors inks - I've read a lot of good things about them, so I'm willing to give refilling the old college try. BUT - in a pinch - I've also been impressed with what I've seen from LD Products - their comaptibles and ink seem to be quality products that should be worth consideration.