CLI-8M cart is bad who wants it

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok i just unpacked my ip4200, don't you know that the 8M cart is bad, canon is going to send me a replacement. the printer will not reconize any cartridges when this one is installed. is there anyone out there that might want this cartridge, to play around with the chip even though the chip is bad

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Keep the cartridge: you can transfer the ink inside the cartridge back to your new Magental CLI-8 cart after it's empty and save $ 15-20 in ink value. Put the cap back and put tape over it to reseal the cartridge completely (don't forget the air breathing hole at the top of the cartridge to be sealed too) and put this in a air tight zip-bag.

After your working cart is empty: pull the ink out of the bad cartridge and inject it into your working cartridge. The method I use is the german Durchtstichmethod: very easy and a minimum of spillage of ink and you don't have to seal the refill hole.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Before drilling holes and transferring ink, why not just transfer the chip onto the "non-working" cartridge and see if that works. You'll have to disable ink monitoring to get it to work but you would have to do that anyways if you refill the empty cartridge as suggested above.

I once had the issue of an incorrect chip on a "non-working" cartridge. Actually, I could get it to print after removing and reinstalling the cartridge. A call to Canon Tech Support and they sent me out a new one overnight. That's good service!

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
yeah i think that i will swap chips and see if that works thanks for the idea, i know this has been talked about many times but what ink has had the best results after refilling of the cli cartridges

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
stratman said:
I once had the issue of an incorrect chip on a "non-working" cartridge. Actually, I could get it to print after removing and reinstalling the cartridge. A call to Canon Tech Support and they sent me out a new one overnight. That's good service!
My view is that it was "good service" that doesn't start to make up for the poor decision Canon made of putting the chip on the cart. This isn't the first instance I've seen reported of a faulty chip right out of the box.

mayersr

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
:(I had my IP4300 3 mos. and I ordered cartridges from Atlantic that were reworked with a chip but I never did get it to work. They told me that I was the only one with that printer to have a problem. I tried to reset the printer in about 15 versions and ways taking the cartridges our didn't help either. They gave me 2/3 weeks to try to get it to work but it still won't print.
They sent me an RMA to return for refund. He said he would put them in another printer to see if it would work.
Now I see several companies that have cartridges w/chips that they claim to work in the canon iP4300.
Does anyone have any ideas that might help me get my printer to work?
Thanks

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
stratman said:
Before drilling holes and transferring ink, why not just transfer the chip onto the "non-working" cartridge and see if that works. You'll have to disable ink monitoring to get it to work but you would have to do that anyways if you refill the empty cartridge as suggested above.

The reason I suggested the ink transfer is that chip-transfer is not without danger since you might damage the chip if it is done not properly and you might end up with 2 faulty cartridges, but if you can do it nicely the method Stratman proposed is of course easier to do than drilling holes and transferring ink. So be careful if it is your first time to transfer the chips.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@fotofreek:

I agree the chipped cartridge is anti-consumer towards refillers. It is Canon's perogative but I hope they will change their tune one day. Not holding my breathe though.

@pharmacist:

I agree one can muck up the chip harvesting process. I used an X-acto knife with success. The donor chip secured itself to the tiny plastic nubs left over on the target cartridge and did not require any adhesive. I guess I got lucky.

If mrelmo is going to refill from here on out then I would suggest just transfering the ink only instead of the chip. I don't think he mentioned a desire to refill before I posted.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i have been refilling my i560 for years and it finally came time to replace it, i bought this ip4200 at officemax 5 months ago on clearance for 50.00 and i have been waiting for a chip resetter before i started using it but i was to put it into service, so i don't have any problem refilling

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
At this time there is no chip resetter available at a cost that would work for an individual user. No problem refilling the chipped carts. You lose the ink level monitor and decline the warranty. The money you save refilling more than compensates for the warranty issue, and you need to visually check cart ink levels so you don't run one dry and damage the printhead.

$50 was a great buy on this printer. When you consider that a set of OEM carts costs more than the printer you might as well jump in and start refilling!