CLI-526 resettable chips

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My cousin (a female pensioner) has just bought a laptop and a Canon MG5150 printer. The salesman said the supplied carts contain only enough ink for setting up and testing (another sign of the times?). So I have been tasked with the job of getting suitable carts for her.

I hope to use two sets of OctoInk CLI-521 type as clear replacements, but have found a problem getting chips. I don't want ARCs because from what I have seen the ink monitoring is lost once the printer is turned off, and I don't think my cousin would remember to periodically do a physical check for levels.

So to my question. Does anyone know of a source of cheap compatible CLI-526 and PGI-525 carts that contain chips that are known to be resettable?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pebe said:
My cousin (a female pensioner) has just bought a laptop and a Canon MG5150 printer. The salesman said the supplied carts contain only enough ink for setting up and testing (another sign of the times?). So I have been tasked with the job of getting suitable carts for her.

I hope to use two sets of OctoInk CLI-521 type as clear replacements, but have found a problem getting chips. I don't want ARCs because from what I have seen the ink monitoring is lost once the printer is turned off, and I don't think my cousin would remember to periodically do a physical check for levels.

So to my question. Does anyone know of a source of cheap compatible CLI-526 and PGI-525 carts that contain chips that are known to be resettable?
If youre getting the 521 cartridges from octoink then youre already half way there.
Why not get a chip resetter at the same time and then remove the chips from the 525 cartridges
and place them on the 521 cartridges, reset them refill them and use them no problem.

If you need a second set of 525 chips then try eBay for a set of the 525 empty cartridges
or someone selling just chips then youll have the perfect setup.

Chip removal is very easy to do also, so here is a link to the instructions for you..:)
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6360

ni9eofse7en

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When the carts supplied with the printer are empty, follow the link as shown on 'The Hat' link. I have just done that in last couple of weeks, it works. Just take care when cutting the plastic lug and removing/replacing the chip, its a bit fiddly and you need good eyesight, dont know how I managed then :), and then fill to your hearts content. But I will ask what is it with this you only get starter inks with the printer, when you put them in it says full. I reckon its a ploy to get buyers to buy a full set of inks as well as the printer, if only the Currys etc of this world knew about this site, they'd be crying in their ledgers :lol:

Just filled 10 CLi521 and PGi520 carts ready to be rechipped and used in an MG printer.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Hat said:
If youre getting the 521 cartridges from octoink then youre already half way there.
Why not get a chip resetter at the same time and then remove the chips from the 525 cartridges
and place them on the 521 cartridges, reset them refill them and use them no problem.

If you need a second set of 525 chips then try eBay for a set of the 525 empty cartridges
or someone selling just chips then youll have the perfect setup.

Chip removal is very easy to do also, so here is a link to the instructions for you..:)
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6360
Transfering the chips from the original five Canon carts to the 521s and resetting them is exactly what I intend to do. But that still leaves me a set of chips short for the second set of carts. I have searched ebay for chips but no-one seems to sell them as discrete items.

Several sellers of empty carts says they are complete with ARC - which I don't want. Most just say 'with chip'. But if someone knows for sure whether a certain make or type of replacement cart can be reset, then I'm home and dried!

I know how to remove the chips.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ni9eofse7en said:
...... But I will ask what is it with this you only get starter inks with the printer, when you put them in it says full. I reckon its a ploy to get buyers to buy a full set of inks as well as the printer, if only the Currys etc of this world knew about this site, they'd be crying in their ledgers :lol:

Just filled 10 CLi521 and PGi520 carts ready to be rechipped and used in an MG printer.
The salesman at Staples in Aberdeen offered us a set of carts for 50+ when we bought the printer. That was his reply when I asked him why we should buy carts when they were already supplied with the printer.

You say 'ready to be chipped'. Have you found a source?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ni9eofse7en said:
No, I shopped around for a set of new cli526 carts as cheap as poss, so when they are used I will swap the chips.
I think it quite likely that some of the available carts use One Time chips that won't reset. I thought it would be rather pointless to ask the vendors - it would not be in their interest to tell me.

But it will be a little time yet before I need them, so if the ones you get are OK when they get empty and you reset them, I would appreciate you letting me know what sort they were.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pebe said:
I think it quite likely that some of the available carts use One Time chips that won't reset.
You may be correct. Caution is the watchword if you are buying from unknown sources or unproven products. There have been aftermarket chips on aftermarket cartridges on previous models which did not respond to any of the resetters available. I have not read of CLI-526 chips that have not been resettable yet, but that doesn't mean there aren't any out there. Have you specific knowledge of non-resettable chips in the CLI-526 flavor?

I thought it would be rather pointless to ask the vendors - it would not be in their interest to tell me.
It might be the vendor has no idea whether his stock is resettable. It won't hurt to ask, but I would follow former President Ronald Reagan's advice and "trust but verify". Use Google or your favorite search engine and see if that specific brand/model is being refilled by others. Also, you could try one chip first to see if it is resettable. A written guarantee by the vendor of the chip's ability to be reset would be the best, of course, but the chance of this guarantee may be unlikely. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman said:
You may be correct. Caution is the watchword if you are buying from unknown sources or unproven products. There have been aftermarket chips on aftermarket cartridges on previous models which did not respond to any of the resetters available. I have not read of CLI-526 chips that have not been resettable yet, but that doesn't mean there aren't any out there. Have you specific knowledge of non-resettable chips in the CLI-526 flavor?
I own an IP4000 and an MP600, so this is the first time I have been involved with the CLI-526. But in the past I got empty CLI-8 carts for my MP600 from Ebay (before Octoink was selling them). Unfortunately, the carts I received were not original Canon's and would not reset. So now I am wary - hence I am looking for any recommendations as to which make/supplier to use.