CLI-521 vs. CLI-526 Cyan - How different?

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have three sets of CLI-526 cartridges that I refill, but after a few minor overflow incidents thought I might try using CLI-521 cartridges instead to get a view on how full they are. To get started on this I have bought an unopened Canon C/M/Y set of 521s with the plan of swapping over the chips, resetting them, use until empty and refill.

Looking irrationally closely at the Octoink supplied for filling 526s I noticed they are typically labelled "CLI-52x", indicating the use of each in both 521 and 526 units. Except for the cyan, and double checking Martin's site shows that it is indeed a different code for the cyan in each refill set.

So my question is...

If I do the chip swap and use the CLI-521 cyan where 526 ink should be used will I notice much difference on the printed page? This is mostly for homework, flyers, etc. Not photos. If so I'll flush and refill from the start on that one - which would be a bit of a waste :(.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Normally there are no differences in the two cartridges, but the 521/520’s are a little easier to refill and maintain, and if you plan to refill the newly purchased OEM’s then don’t wait till there empty, refill when they show low ink is a much better option.

I use several model printers which have different cartridge types the CLl-8, BCl-6 and CLl-521’s, but I use all the same inks in each set, I’ve never had complaints about colours being off.. :)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
As far as I know most 3th party inksets are the same for 521 and 526.

I also converted some 521 to 526 (because I had them), but IMO your overfill incidents will also occur with the opaque 526 carts.
Indeed, with the German (aka Durchstick) method you fill the cartridge upside down so you can see in the 526 carts through the prism window when the ink chamber is full. You should turn it around and let the sponge fill, afterwards continue to inject ink in the chamber.

I always use a balance to fill, a full 526 weighs about 21.3 g, an empty 12.3, that's about 5 g in the ink chamber and 4 in the sponge.

When you do not achieve this weight (= overflow) the sponge is filled with foam and you should purge and dry it.
This is very well explained on many threads on this forum. A flushed and dried cart is under 12g.

To avoid buildig up foam, you better refill the carts when the yellow warning is shown (indicating the ink chamber is empty as the printer see it through the cart prism).
Only 5 g to fill, that's a disadvantage of these cartridges.

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As far as I know most 3th party inksets are the same for 521 and 526.

I also converted some 521 to 526 (because I had them), but IMO your overfill incidents will also occur with the opaque 526 carts.
Indeed, with the German (aka Durchstick) method you fill the cartridge upside down so you can see in the 526 carts through the prism window when the ink chamber is full. You should turn it around and let the sponge fill, afterwards continue to inject ink in the chamber.

I always use a balance to fill, a full 526 weighs about 21.3 g, an empty 12.3, that's about 5 g in the ink chamber and 4 in the sponge.

When you do not achieve this weight (= overflow) the sponge is filled with foam and you should purge and dry it.
This is very well explained on many threads on this forum. A flushed and dried cart is under 12g.

To avoid buildig up foam, you better refill the carts when the yellow warning is shown (indicating the ink chamber is empty as the printer see it through the cart prism).
Only 5 g to fill, that's a disadvantage of these cartridges.

Lots of useful info in there for me :clap.

I've top filled my 525 / 526s 4 or 5 times - so about 20 fills overall. My 526 target weight is 23.5g with the clip in place, and that worked well the first few times, but less reliably later on - I started to get overflows @ ~21g. Not a great problem, but a little irritating ;). So maybe it is the foaming causing this?

Partly because of this and partly because it seemed like a generally useful thing to do every now and again I did flush a set of cartridges through a few months ago. They've been left in cool / dry place ever since, and now way 10.4g each (just the cartridge). So with a clip that will be about 14g, meaning that I'll be trying to get a 9.0-9.5g of ink in there.

You're right that many of these things are explained in various posts. They can be a bit fragmented when you don't know where to look, but AIUI, I'll add about half the ink with the vent open, leave it an hour or so for the sponge to refill, then get the last half in with the vent taped over.

I might flush and dry another set of cartridges to 'freshly' refill at the same time and avoid any overflow problems. For that I flush out and tuck it into my sock for a day while riding a carousel :confused: :D?

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sounds like the view on the colour difference is that most hadn't been aware of it, so probably not a problem. That's a good outcome :).

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Partly because of this and partly because it seemed like a generally useful thing to do every now and again I did flush a set of cartridges through a few months ago. They've been left in cool / dry place ever since, and now way 10.4g each (just the cartridge). So with a clip that will be about 14g, meaning that I'll be trying to get a 9.0-9.5g of ink in there.

The flushed cartridges filled really easily to 23.5g-24.0g with clip. So that's 10.5g or so if ink altogether.

A couple of unpurged ones filled to the same, so presumably are in good condition.

And a couple only filled to 21g or so before overflowing. I've made a note of which and will see if they cause any problems in use, although I'll flush and dry next time they need a refill anyway.